The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Too good to miss?

49 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: Too good to miss?
Feb 23, 2012, 22:39
That. wasn't rambling at all, that was extremely coherently put. And extremely reasonable, I agree completely. I wish my brain had been able to sort that all out.

one more thing that occurs to me (again in a vague fashion, but containing a spark that I'm sure is relevant), is the selling on aspect of second hand objects like books and records. That their scarcity makes them more desirable and people will pay more for them. I heard of a superb book the other day, it is about how people in the arctic make / made clothes. But there was only one on abe or amazon or wherever and it was about a squillion quid. If I bought that none of the money would be going to the original author. One assumes it's out of print and the only way to get it (other than A Library) is by buying it secondhand. So you could almost justify your illegal downloading then, by saying that you didn't want to pay more than the book was physically worth. Book dealers turn it into a commodity and see how much you'll pay for it. (and why not I guess, that is no doubt capitalism). Books that are out of print and unlikely to be reprinted - none of that resale money goes to the author. Buuut maybe a savvy author could (and would have the right to? I'm not sure) produce a digital version of their book and sell it. For less of course cos there int no paper involved.

it's all v interesting isn't it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index