The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
The Ridgeway »
The Ridgeway Pilgrimage (Sacred Way) *UPDATE*

32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: The Ridgeway Pilgrimage (Sacred Way)
Feb 20, 2012, 20:18
VBB wrote:
tjj wrote:
VBB wrote:
For anyone that missed it Radio 4's 'Excess baggage' 11 Feb 2012 featured some interesting discussions on the pilgramage theme around standing stones. Podcast here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/excessbag

Thanks for that VBB, I've just listened to most of it. About eight minutes in Martin Symington talks about stone circles and 'sacred' stone places (Karl Marx's tomb gets a mention as well). Book looks good Sacred Britain though has been covered by many other writers from John Michell to Paul Devereaux.

Martin features Twickenham as 'sacred' - puts things in perspective I feel.
He also champions the Neasden temple, and he doesn't mean where Twiggy grew up.

I called into the library this evening, was searching the Travel Section for a book on Ireland when Sacred Britain by Martin Symington almost jumped off the shelf. A lovely book, beautifully presented with drawings, maps and a few coloured photos (small enough to carry in a rucksack too). It covers the UK from Orkney to the Isles of Scilly, with a chapter on London, but doesn't include Northern Ireland.

Oddly, very close to it I found a book by Edward Thomas called In Pursuit of Spring. Amazing what you find in the Travel Section of your local library.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index