The Ridgeway Pilgrimage (Sacred Way) *UPDATE*

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andrew Joseph
13 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2012, 18:50
The Ridgeway Pilgrimage (Sacred Way) *UPDATE*
Jan 25, 2012, 11:19
Hi thanks for continued input from everyone, Have been busy following up links and issues raised here and elsewhere. Have decided to concentrate on the stretch of The Ridgeway between Streatly and Avebury for the purpose of the research, and look to extending if this initial stretch proves popular (Idealy would love to follow this line of Chalk between The Wash (Sea Henge?) and Lyme Regis (entry point for Breaker People?) any further thoughts?

Plotting the route now (linking in to issues of accommodation and water) and linking to meditations using the the Hill "forts" along the way as stopping points... (my understanding is that they were originally more likely used as centers of celebration rather than for defense? (Would appreciate more on this)

Again thanks to all of you for your input and emails very much appreciated.

If anyone is interested in pilgrimage in the UK Avebury gets a good mention on the Beyond Belife podcast of 30.1.12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/belief#playepisode3

Hi there and thanks for a wonderful forum ful of interesting links and discussions.... and thanks to Julian for the Modern Antiquarian :-) (and fried :-)

I am a (mature) student at Berkshire College of Agriculture studying for my Diploma in Countryside Management.

I am carrying out an independent study looking at the feasibility of increasing the numbers of people making a long distance journey by foot along the Ridgeway (a pilgriimage). The aim of the research is to produce a set of recommendations that would sustainably increase the numbers of people walking the Ridgeway (particularly those from overseas).

My interest in the subject stems from my own love of walking the Ridgeway and all I have learned from that experience and my experiences walking the Camino to Santiago de Compostella in Northern Spain.

I am am well into my research schedual now and have met many wonderfull and enthusiastic people which has led to the project widening into my writing a "mindfull" guidebook to walking The Ridgeway from The Goring Gap to Avebury (taking in the new Great Stones Way walk as it is opened.

I want to attract as wide a range as possible of interested people to this project and would welcome any thought opinions on the tradition of walking pilgrimage (I use the word without any particularly Christian connotations) or on the spiritual aspects of The Ridgeway or any of the associated sites along its route. I can provide access to my research proposal online but would also welcome discussion on here or by email ([email protected])or phone

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards

Andrew Joseph
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 26, 2012, 20:13
Re: The Ridgeway Pilgrimage (Sacred Way)
Jan 25, 2012, 15:11
There is something 'pilgrim' like about walking the sections of the Ridgeway which culminate near Avebury. For people who may not be up to or inclined to do the entire length there are options to walk from Barbury Castle or, alternatively, up the White Horse Trail from Broad Hinton to walk the final section (there is a good bus service to Broad Hinton).

Good luck with it!
VBB
558 posts

Jan 25, 2012, 16:11
Andrew Joseph wrote:
Hi there and thanks for a wonderful forum ful of interesting links and discussions.... and thanks to Julian for the Modern Antiquarian :-) (and fried :-)

I am a (mature) student at Berkshire College of Agriculture studying for my Diploma in Countryside Management.

I am carrying out an independent study looking at the feasibility of increasing the numbers of people making a long distance journey by foot along the Ridgeway (a pilgriimage). The aim of the research is to produce a set of recommendations that would sustainably increase the numbers of people walking the Ridgeway (particularly those from overseas).

My interest in the subject stems from my own love of walking the Ridgeway and all I have learned from that experience and my experiences walking the Camino to Santiago de Compostella in Northern Spain.

I am am well into my research schedual now and have met many wonderfull and enthusiastic people which has led to the project widening into my writing a "mindfull" guidebook to walking The Ridgeway from The Goring Gap to Avebury (taking in the new Great Stones Way walk as it is opened.

I want to attract as wide a range as possible of interested people to this project and would welcome any thought opinions on the tradition of walking pilgrimage (I use the word without any particularly Christian connotations) or on the spiritual aspects of The Ridgeway or any of the associated sites along its route. I can provide access to my research proposal online but would also welcome discussion on here or by email ([email protected])or phone

Kind regards

Andrew Joseph

Sadly 'walking' doesn't always just mean that when in connection with the Ridgeway - it also means parking.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jan 25, 2012, 16:34
I have a book written in I think the 50s (at home, I'm at work) which describes walking the ridgeway. Apparently the largest material difficulty is water. As in you have to come off the ridgeway, in some cases several miles off the ridgeway, to find an available source of water.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 25, 2012, 23:38
I wasn't going to mention this on forum as I feel ambivalent about it. May be helpful for people walking or riding the entire length of the Ridgeway though.

Swindon Borough Council's plans to finance the proposed new visitor centre at Barbury by selling off adjoining land for development have moved another step forward with the submission of a planning application for the northern site (both sites are to the east of the Barbury access road; the southern site is the one on which the ruined bungalow now stands). The proposed development on the northern site consists of a B&B block with 8 rooms; a bunkhouse with 24 bunks; a stable block for 6 horses; a camping meadow; a horse paddock; and a site manager's house. The buildings are a mix of single and two-storey and are arranged around a courtyard which will have 12 car parking spaces. The various uses are in line with the planning brief. The site entrance is proposed to be almost opposite the Barbury car park entrance.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 26, 2012, 21:09
VBB wrote:
Andrew Joseph wrote:

Kind regards

Andrew Joseph

Sadly 'walking' doesn't always just mean that when in connection with the Ridgeway - it also means parking.

Although the Swindon - Devizes bus can be used to access the Ridgeway (e.g. at Barbury) without a car.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 26, 2012, 21:10
tjj wrote:
There is something 'pilgrim' like about walking the sections of the Ridgeway which culminate near Avebury.

Not to mention Wayland's Smithy.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2012, 16:39
Jan 26, 2012, 21:49
thesweetcheat wrote:
VBB wrote:

Although the Swindon - Devizes bus can be used to access the Ridgeway (e.g. at Barbury) without a car.

Although I only really know the Uffington to Avebury section of the Ridgeway, I would say it is challenging getting up onto the Ridgeway by bus as it always involves an uphill walk. There is a bus from Swindon to Hungerford which goes through Ashbury where there is an uphill path which will take you near to Waylands Smithy and Uffington Hillfort. Barbury Castle is difficult ... there is a rare bus which serves a housing development built on the site of what was the RAF Princess Alexandra Hospital then an uphill walk or otherwise a much longer walk up from Wroughton, the Swindon to Devizes bus (49) does go through Wroughton.

Edited: Correction .. the bus that goes through Ashbury is the Newbury bus (not Hungerford)
http://www.swindonbus.info/tts/047.htm
Andrew Joseph
13 posts

Jan 27, 2012, 09:34
Thank you for your thoughts...

I agree there is a need to make the walk "sectionable" I am involved with the development of The Great Stones Way and we have talked about making Barbury a start point for that walk C/O the the existing infrastructure strains on Avebury... But yes walking the oldest road has a strong Pilgrim feel to it for me...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 27, 2012, 09:45
I find the idea of pilgrimage intriguing, especially as the Ridgeway is used in many other ways. The practicalities of walking a long distance either on one's own or with a group has to be broken down though. Camping along the way, could cause litter, availability of food and water is sparse as has been pointed out, so are we talking about organised groups, who can meet up with a land rover at specific points or even a coach, or (my preferred option) could we take a pack horse ;).
Pilgrimage would be to the prehistoric sites I suppose, and the guide book would give a practical outline of their histories and the good thing about The Ridgeway is you would'nt get lost.......
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index