Climbing on Standing Stones

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 124 25 26 27 28 29 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: Climbing on Standing Stones
Mar 01, 2012, 22:42
Sorry to say it, but in that wonderful prose and well made points, you have missed what is _to me_ the central point of all.

Protecting what's left of our prehistory comes first.

It doesn't matter if its a digger destroying a stone row, a quarrying company destroying unique evidence of temporary camps around a henge, modern poems placed over a prehistoric landscape, a farmer allowing livestock to slowly destroy cairns or ploughing flat a round barrow, tens of thousands of people stealing our heritage in the name of a hobby every weekend, landowners driving 4x4s across chambered tombs, tenant farmers flattening henges, 1000s of people denuding Avebury's banks, unused roads being built over unique archaeology, 100s of people leaving tealights and shite in barrows or 1 solitary person clambering to the top of a fucking dolmen.

ITS WRONG.

Don't tell me it causes no damage, I don't give a fuck if its minor I really don't, its wrong. Simple as. It doesn't matter that in the greater scheme of things its practically irrelevant, because frankly as the people that actually give a toss, so we should be setting the highest possible standard when we visit a site. We must set the highest possible standard cos the other people don't know, they simply don't realise.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Mar 01, 2012, 22:45
*applause*

G x
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Edited Mar 01, 2012, 21:55
My deliberately inflammatory remark
Mar 01, 2012, 22:53
I just wondered if anyone has read this month's new Address Drudion?
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Mar 01, 2012, 22:56
PS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superrationality
TL;DR Don't walk on the grass.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2550 posts

Edited Mar 01, 2012, 21:59
Mar 01, 2012, 22:58
We also should all be on the same side trying to help each other and all of the monuments not just the famous ones. Lots of sites up here have been vandalised by forestry/landowners/people/cattle intentionally or unintentionally and I've done what I can by reporting it to the Aberdeenshire/Moray/Angus authorities. And I certainly don't want to be applauded as that energy could be put to better use.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Mar 01, 2012, 23:02
drewbhoy wrote:
And I certainly don't want to be applauded as that energy could be put to better use.

Was never a risk - I'm all applauded out.

G x
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Mar 01, 2012, 23:03
There was a second part to the rant about pointless divisions within stonehugger ranks that would have got me in trouble so I deleted it. Leaving aside the perceived indiscretions for one moment, please have no doubt that I know we are all ultimately on the same side. Some of us may just be slightly more anal about it... ;)

SPLITTERS!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Mar 01, 2012, 23:09
juamei wrote:
Sorry to say it, but in that wonderful prose and well made points, you have missed what is _to me_ the central point of all.

Protecting what's left of our prehistory comes first.

Yep. But in order to do that, we need to know what there is left. And that requires visits. We are not going to agree on this. I think our prehistory is better protected by knowing what's there, recording it, publicising it and letting others know about it.

Other people think this is the job of professionals only. I don't agree. So we willl just have to differ.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Mar 01, 2012, 23:11
juamei wrote:
1000s of people denuding Avebury's banks ...

ITS WRONG.

Don't tell me it causes no damage, I don't give a fuck if its minor I really don't, its wrong. Simple as.

Sorry, should have added. That'll be the end of the annual megameet then, I assume.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Mar 01, 2012, 23:16
Thank you, I'm afraid that was the conclusion I've been reaching over the last few days of this thread.

We all have a bias and whether someone actively visits and interacts with sites (not the show sites, the other ones) seems to make a big difference to where they stand on this discussion.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 124 25 26 27 28 29 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index