Our Sacred Land

Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Plotters revealed
Sep 22, 2011, 06:09
nigelswift wrote:

I daresay our erstwhile chancellor would be less critical of "interest groups" if they were regular contributors to his party (oh and if he was on the board of some of them!!!)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Our Sacred Land
Sep 27, 2011, 11:49
It's not boring and it hasn't all been said, certainly not in the world beyond this forum.

99.96% of archaeological sites aren't protected in the slightest way so will be laid open to be trashed by these brigands. But they're just a small, minority-interest element of the whole, not worth even a mention in the press and certainly without a hope of being included in any of the last minute token impact reduction that may have been built into the plan from the start.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Sep 27, 2011, 12:25
Megalithomania IS political I'm afraid. It's all choices.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 27, 2011, 12:32
Apologies for opening this thread up again, as it's all been said now and I don't want to bore people, but I just have to post this very telling article, which is a sadly fitting thread end :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/26/planning-system-authorised-blackmail
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2011, 13:11
Sep 27, 2011, 13:09
nigelswift wrote:
It's not boring and it hasn't all been said, certainly not in the world beyond this forum.

99.96% of archaeological sites aren't protected in the slightest way so will be laid open to be trashed by these brigands. But they're just a small, minority-interest element of the whole, not worth even a mention in the press and certainly without a hope of being included in any of the last minute token impact reduction that may have been built into the plan from the start.

Thanks for your postive comment, because I do worry that some may think that I'm always going political and banging on.

The statistic you mention re UK archeological sites is very worrying indeed. In rural Southern Ireland one gets the sense that they are respected. Perhaps an unconscious resonance from underneath the Top Soil of Catholocism. Come to think of it, for all its many faults and abhorrencies, the Catholic mind set does involve a lot of ritualised mysticism, that's why it was so successful in being adopted by the pre-existing Irish Celtic culture. I don't think it's necessarily an availability of land issue. The British mindset of the Protestant Work Ethic and Empire building variety has, I believe, led us, collectively speaking to become far more detached from any links to our cultural past.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Sep 27, 2011, 14:13
My previous post did not despute that. I was referring to a broader cultural mindset which definitely has a bearing on this matter. The more a connection with our heritage, the more the will to politicise. Thankfully, there are many of us in this country, but we are still the minority in a culture of endless materialistic expansion in the even larger perinicous Global Market philosophy that makes the situation of our heritage here in the UK even more perilous.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

EAST COKER
Oct 02, 2011, 10:28
This article is a very good summation of the entire situation we are facing:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/poets-corner-the-battle-for-ts-eliotrsquos-village-2362671.html
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: East Coker/ Hinkley Point
Oct 04, 2011, 10:46
The Sea Cat wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/poets-corner-the-battle-for-ts-eliotrsquos-village-2362671.html

The protest against the third nuclear reactor at Hinkley Point received scant media attention. I wonder why....

What with Fracking in the Mendips, the massive housing expansions, and now this, wonderful Somerset, a county so rich in natural beauty and ancient heritage, is in real peril:

http://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/2011/hinkley-protest-03-10-11.php

I suspect Seacat that it all comes down to people protesting in their own areas and fighting the battles on home ground! You would think the Fukishama disaster in Japan would have driven it home how dangerous nuclear energy can become should a disaster befall a nuclear plant. But do we have relevant footage on the BBC? media coverage?
The answer is no, the old adage 'bread and circuses' or Strictly Come Dancing maybe, is of more importance to most people - apathy and a rotten government to lead that apathy and renege on 'green promises' yet on the other hand make it easier for the 'big fellows' to get their way through messing around with planning laws, or at least adjusting them to serve the big corporations - sweet...
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2011, 11:01
Oct 04, 2011, 10:55
The Sea Cat wrote:

The protest against the third nuclear reactor at Hinkley Point received scant media attention. I wonder why....

What with Fracking in the Mendips, the massive housing expansions, and now this, wonderful Somerset, a county so rich in natural beauty and ancient heritage, is in real peril:

drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2554 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2011, 12:42
Oct 04, 2011, 11:41
The Sea Cat wrote:
moss wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

I suspect Seacat that it all comes down to people protesting in their own areas and fighting the battles on home ground! You would think the Fukishama disaster in Japan would have driven it home how dangerous nuclear energy can become should a disaster befall a nuclear plant. But do we have relevant footage on the BBC? media coverage?
The answer is no, the old adage 'bread and circuses' or Strictly Come Dancing maybe, is of more importance to most people - apathy and a rotten government to lead that apathy and renege on 'green promises' yet on the other hand make it easier for the 'big fellows' to get their way through messing around with planning laws, or at least adjusting them to serve the big corporations - sweet...

Thanks for replying, as I'm sure most people are bored with this thread, but it just makes me so angry. Bread and Circuses indeed.
What doesn't help Somerset in particular is that its completely Coalition dominated. It used to be Tory, then the Lib Dem regime, and now a nice balance to push all their rapacious and destructive policies through with no political opposition whatsovever, and the example of East Coker just to goes to show what contempt public oppinion is held in here - systematic of the national outlook, sadly. I've more or less decided that I'm going to leave Somerset now when the house gets sold.

That is sad news about you leaving the area. Could be worse you could live in a country that almost wiped out the LibCons yet we still have to put up with their crap. We never wanted, voted for any nuclear stuff yet we still have it, Faslane included. At least down in England the majority, of those who voted, seem to want it. Maybe it is those who don't vote who are the real allies of the idiots in charge.
Pages: 37 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index