Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Houses for the dead...what about the living?

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Houses for the dead...what about the living?
Sep 09, 2010, 05:28
BuckyE wrote:
So even here the dead have their place, and the living theirs. There aren't many extant examples of Neolithic houses, but comparing the couple I've seen (Scara Brae, Cambous) to barrows (West Kennet, Isbister, Stony Littleton, multiple sites in Brittany, etc.) the actual construction doesn't really seem that similar. It's perhaps reminiscent, in the sense it may use similar techniques, but to me the barrows don't look like particularly nice houses.

Yes I'd have to agree that known "graves" aren't at all practical for everyday living...as commonplace observations and coming and goings are a tad restricted(I mentioned one in Carnac in another thread...apparently this was used as a hideout for rebels....again not the most practical place for if it had been discovered there was no easy escape route)...though I recall one grave excavation(can't recall where it was) on television,it was almost to all extents and purposes a "house" where even the table had been laid as for a meal and the body was arranged on the bed with the deceased's wordly goods on him or close by..the lack of widows and firehearth were the only indications that this this wasn't a habitation, just a facsimile for a dead warrior. I'm no archeo...and perhaps houses were at some point built without window openings and heating/cooking facilities...but does anyone really think so??
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index