Resonox
604 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
May 30, 2010, 00:02
tjj wrote:
Resonox wrote:
tjj wrote:
but to be frank I don't give a toss.

Well if you did...that could be seen as spilling seed...but I think the decency laws in this country prohibit it anyway.

Resonox, in an earlier post you suggested that I may have misused or misquoted your words - which I certainly had not intended to do. Surely by quoting the final half dozen words of my previous post (which was nothing if not reasonable) to have a jibe at my expense is doing the same thing. "I don't give toss" is a colloquialism of course and was not meant to refer to the act of masturbation - though should I choose such an activity in the open air it is unlikely that I would spill any seed ... as I am female and I don't think our anatomy works that way.

Ah...so a little bit of levity isn't permissible...In one post you are glad you made me laugh...but another it is deemed as an affront for doing the same????If you feel that this was a jibe at your expense...I can only apologise for wording it badly, it was intended to be funny(I realise that spur of the moment humour doesn't always translate once it has had time to be analysed)....
However as you don't see it as bit of a laugh and only as ribaldry at your expense, I will refrain from any more attempts on this particular topic.
btw semantically..."giving a toss" is quite different from having one and as such would still result in seed being spilled.
Once again I can only say sorry to anyone who is offended by "cheap postcard humour"
faerygirl
412 posts

May 30, 2010, 09:43
Paulus wrote:
Hi Faerygirl -

Wot's even worse - and they've been growing at an incredible rate over the last 30 years - are these awful, noisy, bright metal objects covering the lanes and roadsides just about everywhere, parked-up, people gerrin' out, eating their damn crispy packets, plastic bottled water (organic o' course - it sez so on the tin!), choci-bars, chips - and the damn ignorant freaks who keep gerrin new ones are wanting bigger and wider roads for 'em, so they can get even closer to the megaliths. These dreadful daily offerings (you can't get rid of 'em it seems, cluttering the wilderness increasingly as laziness infests folks' legs!) seemingly keep breeding. And the truth of the matter is: the people who use these things are the people who leave all their driblets. The solution's simple: ban them - cars that is! Then, less & less crap will be left at sites cos the lazy people (those who leave the crap) would have to walk there. It'd work.

Wot d' y' reckon? ;)

I LOVE IT! Stuff 'em I say. Especially those that come by coach. Great swarms of tourists messing up the place with their footprints and "is that it?" attitude. There was a coach at Grimspound when I was there recently (why you would go there on a tour is beyond me, the place felt terrible and look terribly bleak!) and there were crisp wrappers and people taking a leak everywhere! Now THERES a place that could do with brightening up with some ribbon...

;)
revnox
92 posts

May 30, 2010, 10:20
Here Here!
faerygirl
412 posts

May 30, 2010, 10:24
PLEASE TREAT THIS SITE WITH RESPECT & LEAVE NO LITTER OR OFFERINGS.
IF YOU FIND ANY DAMAGE OR VANDALISM PLEASE PHONE 01736-787186 OR 787522

Found on the information pages for Tregeseal Circle. Guess some people are getting up-to-date with all this offering malarkey and putting a stop to it. I wonder if people will pay any attention to the warning, as I'm sure the people who leave "offered" bits of plastic and shoelaces KNOW they're not really supposed to.
faerygirl
412 posts

May 30, 2010, 10:28
MisteryWaters wrote:
Alfrede wrote:
hmmmm - Preaching indeed.

If you ever go to another part of the world, like India for example - would you take a bin bag and tidy up all the 'rubbish' offerings at their sacred sites too.
Or maybe thats different? not 'British'?

Traditionally, in India, it is food that is offered to the Gods. This is of course 'biodegradable'. If all offerings were of 'biodegradable' natural material there would not be a problem with litter louts.

HA! Yeah everything at these sacred places is a biodegradable offering. I did actually collect some litter at the lotus temple in Delhi and I was on a bit of a one woman mission for litter picking in Kerala because its such a beautiful place and I felt really sorry for it.

Lots of the "offered" food in India is still wrapped in plastic or includes little plastic figures. Also the people selling the food for offering just dump all the wrappings wherever they happen to be. They just dont seem to understand (or give a damn about) plastic.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 30, 2010, 22:07
faerygirl wrote:
Paulus wrote:
Hi Faerygirl -

Wot's even worse - and they've been growing at an incredible rate over the last 30 years - are these awful, noisy, bright metal objects covering the lanes and roadsides just about everywhere, parked-up, people gerrin' out, eating their damn crispy packets, plastic bottled water (organic o' course - it sez so on the tin!), choci-bars, chips - and the damn ignorant freaks who keep gerrin new ones are wanting bigger and wider roads for 'em, so they can get even closer to the megaliths. These dreadful daily offerings (you can't get rid of 'em it seems, cluttering the wilderness increasingly as laziness infests folks' legs!) seemingly keep breeding. And the truth of the matter is: the people who use these things are the people who leave all their driblets. The solution's simple: ban them - cars that is! Then, less & less crap will be left at sites cos the lazy people (those who leave the crap) would have to walk there. It'd work.

Wot d' y' reckon? ;)

I LOVE IT! Stuff 'em I say. Especially those that come by coach. Great swarms of tourists messing up the place with their footprints and "is that it?" attitude. There was a coach at Grimspound when I was there recently (why you would go there on a tour is beyond me, the place felt terrible and look terribly bleak!) and there were crisp wrappers and people taking a leak everywhere! Now THERES a place that could do with brightening up with some ribbon...

;)

I think we would have to agree to differ on this one faerygirl. I don't own a car and while in Cornwall back in April I either walked or caught a bus to the places I visited - this meant of course that I didn't get to see all the things I wanted to see, couldn't find Lanyon Quoit for example though I have lots of photographs of the old tin mine which is part of the same landscape.

Last year however, I fulfilled a long held dream to visit Orkney and Shetland - I chose to go by coach with a group of people I had never met before. Yes, the coach parked near the Ring of Brodgar and Skara Brae and no doubt if I ever get to Callanish it would be the same way. I'll be the first to say not ideal, however, probably less harmful to the environment than the same number of people getting there by car. Everyone in my group behaved respectfully at each place we visited, though one man got a rollicking from his wife for treading on some heather at the Ring of Brodgar.
Sweep
30 posts

May 31, 2010, 10:38
Just a slight update on the thing about posting to appropriate Internet forums to discourage people from leaving inappropriate stuff.

I've joined several hippy and new age forums, but I haven't yet seen any references to people visiting stone circles etc, or to ley lines or anything like that, which seems rather surprising. I didn't Google `neo-pagan' (or pagan for that matter) so I'll do that next, but if anyone happens to find any forums that migh be relevant, please let me know.
TheStandingStone
218 posts

May 31, 2010, 11:18
faerygirl wrote:
I don't leave anything apart from the fading sound of drums and a didgeridoo

So noise pollution is acceptable then?
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 31, 2010, 11:45
I think we should think of ourselves as owning timeshares in monuments. On that basis, they should be left spick and span when we leave.
revnox
92 posts

May 31, 2010, 11:57
MisteryWaters wrote:
Alfrede wrote:
hmmmm - Preaching indeed.

If you ever go to another part of the world, like India for example - would you take a bin bag and tidy up all the 'rubbish' offerings at their sacred sites too.
Or maybe thats different? not 'British'?

Traditionally, in India, it is food that is offered to the Gods. This is of course 'biodegradable'. If all offerings were of 'biodegradable' natural material there would not be a problem with litter louts.

Traditionally yes however of late we see the whole kit and kaboodle including plastic toys for the baby Krishna!
I personally do not see the issue as contextual but as regarding the content of offerings. I have no problem with that which does not pollute nor damage the site or it's flora and fauna. I personally dislike the childish displays of so called pagan symbols however I accept thier right to display these and would go to great degrees to protect it.
Freedom of speech!
freedom of expression! whether intellectually or spiritually are the ground rocks of any reasonable society!
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index