Theories on 'cup and ring marks'

47 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: Theories on 'cup and ring marks'
Mar 27, 2008, 10:34
Because of context we assume that many of the carvings were made in the earliest days of metalworking and another product of this era was the carving of stone moulds for copper and bronze casting. While the intent can be assumed to be very different certainly the tools used and possibly the craftspeople makers were the same. (Google " croglin stone mould " for an example that is local to me). It would, perhaps, be useful if the stone mould tradition were brought into the rock art fold (metaphorically).

[I am now also pretty convinced that TomBo never found the Kirkhaugh stone circle site and invented his report. A later group visit there spoke of a row of slabs that look like a bankside to an old road is just that - and a fair distance away from the actual stones.]

{Also I've noticed that the Megalithic Portal still has some of my Bolton sites listed. I have a login - or had - there, and may try to wade in and get these sites 'correctly listed' there. I know it's impossible but that doesn't mean don't try.}
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index