Newgrange »
Newgrange: quartz and granite wall

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
12pointer
25 posts

Re: Newgrange: quartz and granite wall
Feb 27, 2008, 13:52
maybe they were praying to the quartz to bear more gold? Gold is pritty much only found in quartz veins. Also some quartz contains copper too.
12pointer
25 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 13:59
I work up in Tyrone at the moment and I spend my days looking for quartz as it is the material that contains the gold and copper. Were these sites used in trying to tune into the rock gods? Were the makers mineral explorers? Were stone circles a type of machine used in harnessing rock energies?..... There is a coincidence of these structures and the bronze age.
gjrk
370 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 14:20
I'm actually kind of intrigued by Fourwind's comment below. In the hills around where I live every second site has a big quartz boulder beside it and from a distance, in daylight, the whiteness is quite visible against the landscape whereas the grey sandstones merge in. I'm just wondering about the effect of an illumination of these stones at night.
Good topic and welcome 12pointer.
12pointer
25 posts

Feb 27, 2008, 14:33
look at it while the full moon shines apon the quartz boulder and see if you can see its energy field.

There was a good documentary from the BBC, supernatural abilites of animals, aparetly sharks tortoises and whales can sense rock magnetism, and some lizards can see energy fields that surround us, or auras.
what if we also had the ability to sense the power of rocks, and maybe use them, align them in a certain way that could harmonise out bodies for healing or meditation, or to contact the other side.

While you're looking at the energy field around the quartz boulder see if you can see 'the other side'......

Believe
gjdgjd
4 posts

Jun 20, 2016, 16:52
Thought it best to add to an old thread rather than start a new one - hope this is the preferred way.
I have seen a lot of ancient sites which have had varying impacts on me as I observed the amazing achievents of these ancient civilisations - never before have a stood in front of an ancient monument laughing out loud. I had seen photos and thought "That doesn't look right" but seeing it for real was something else. I thought Knossos was as bad as it got in respect of "restoring" (aka Disneyfying)these things; until I saw the abomination of Newgrange. Unesco should withdraw its world heritage status until there is a commitment to do something about it. The learned Prof must have had one too many jars of the black stuff the night he came up with the concept of neolithic megalithic pebble-dash. As he watched his building contractors pouring their concrete around the steel reinforcement there must have been a little voice in his head going "Noooooo!" - but if there was, he chose to ignore it. Not only did he do pebble-dash he actually, because of the distribution differences in the ratio between the quartz and rolled granite, came up with the concept of "gradient filled" pebble-dash; outstandingly deranged by anyone's standards.
Nowhere near as deranged is the suggestion that the quartz/granite at Knowth was actually a floor paving/decoration. For me this is still unconvincing given the intelligence of these neolithic peoples - why would they pave something with seriously sharp stones when they are walking round with, at best, rudimentary animal skin protection on their feet.
It seems obvious to me that the actual original arrangement was that the quartz was embedded in the earth surface of the mound itself as a sort of large tapering "lozenge" around the doorway/window and that the water-rolled granite was used as the perimeter lining of the quartz area separating it from the earth of the mound itself. This is why the granite to quartz ratio gets larger at the extremes; there is a lot more perimeter compared to the area at the end of the "lozenge" than in the middle. It really isn't that neolithic peoples were into gradient filled pebble-dash.........
The only thing I can't quite establish, but I suspect those with access to the full size/number/distribution data could establish with some ease, is whether the granite also formed the perimeter on the lower edge where the "lozenge" met the retaining stones. I suspect it did but I cannot prove it conclusively from estimating the numbers/size data based on the photos.
This ridiculous pebble-dashed wall detracted from the wonders within - as did the guide's comments in respect of the famous triple whorl; "Oh sure I like to imagine St Patrick seeing this and saying - Oh! they had a trinity too".......
You couldn't make it up.
postman
848 posts

Jun 21, 2016, 13:47
Unesco should withdraw its world heritage status until there is a commitment to do something about it.

Now that made me say nooooo.
Got to put all that quartz somewhere, would you prefer a neat pile at the sides of the entrance with a big question mark on it.
gjdgjd
4 posts

Jun 21, 2016, 18:09
postman wrote:
Unesco should withdraw its world heritage status until there is a commitment to do something about it.

Now that made me say nooooo.
Got to put all that quartz somewhere, would you prefer a neat pile at the sides of the entrance with a big question mark on it.

Nooooo!
As I indicated in the previous post what I would like to do with all that quartz, having removed the learned Prof's 20th century technology steel reinforced concrete construction and reinstated the gently sloping earth mound down to the retaining stones (no problem if they stop the earth short as at Knowth to give a better view of the retaining stones), is to embed it in the earth "hillside" as a large curved surround (half a "lozenge") to the window and door and to reinstate the water-rolled granite as a perimeter around the quartz separating it from the rest of the earth mound. It has to have been like this for several reasons; firstly it requires neolithic technology only and secondly it would generate precisely the distribution of quartz and granite that the Prof saw and said "It's a (gradient filled pebble-dashed) collapsed wall" and thirdly people could stand in front of it and marvel at the neolithic mind and not laugh at the academic flight of fancy. The distribution (and varying ratio) of stones is actually what you would get from erosion of the earth mound into which these stones are laid/embedded. Gradual collapse, occasional stone mini-avalanche. etc.. Granite to quartz ratio high at the ends of the "half-lozenge" reducing to a low ratio at the middle of the lozenge (around the door/window) where there is a lot more area than perimeter.
Something needs to be done about it - people (both visitors and neolithic builders) deserve better than this.
postman
848 posts

Jun 21, 2016, 19:16
I guess what Im saying is I disagree, that I think it should be left alone, that your being too critical. It's been this way all my life and possibly yours too, leave it alone, I see no connection with Disney, it looks superb the way it is.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Jun 21, 2016, 19:42
But it's like the national symbol of prehistoric Ireland! It's like someone came to Stonehenge and filled all the bits in - except worse because at least you can guess where the bits went at Stonehenge. Whereas Newgrange's current appearance is just fantasy.
Don't tell me it doesn't look better in these photos before it was messed with
http://irisharchaeology.ie/2012/12/images-of-newgrange-through-the-ages/
How romantic is the 1910 picture (when it was slightly tidied up)?

And it's surprising it was 'restored' so relatively recently... but then it was about the same time Silbury was having its tunnel put in. So maybe a bad period all round.
postman
848 posts

Jun 24, 2016, 18:04
If it's the national symbol of prehistoric Ireland, then part of it's role is to get people to Ireland and possibly go to some other prehistoric sites, then wouldn't it be better to look as awesome as possible, it may be fantastical, but on this one point it's just perfect and performing well.
Of course, I prefer it as it was before, but the roof box is blocked, that's a big part of the draw for me. Plus and this is the biggest point for me, but the least worth while, It's looked this way all my life, I've seen so many pictures of it, it's always made me wonder, in a small, very small way, it was part of what made me me.
I don't want it to change, i'm not very adaptable, I like it the way it is, and I'd in all seriousness feel sorry for it if it was all taken apart again.
If it's just a question of correctness, have an alternative view model in the visitor centre or better still point people towards Dowth for a more real prehistoric Ireland.
I'm sorry if that all sounds a bit stupid, my only real problem was with part of gjdgjd's initial comment "Unesco should withdraw its world heritage status" such absurdly extreme views get on my nerves and I like to add a bit of balance.
Leave it alone and let it rest, it looks cool.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index