Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
I found some rock markings!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
12pointer
25 posts

I found some rock markings!
Feb 21, 2008, 11:45
I just posted it on a webpage for you to look at.
http://www.geocities.com/gavin_ingo/mypage.html

I know i shouldn't have used a pen but I didn't know what I was looking at. Plus I wasn't into this Antiquarian stuff until now.
What should I do?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: I found some rock markings!
Feb 21, 2008, 12:13
12pointer wrote:
I just posted it on a webpage for you to look at.
http://www.geocities.com/gavin_ingo/mypage.html

I know i shouldn't have used a pen but I didn't know what I was looking at. Plus I wasn't into this Antiquarian stuff until now.
What should I do?

Hello Gavin , imho the markings are not ogham .Incised marks not too dissimilar have been found in association with major monuments like Skara Brae and Maes Howe ,whether they would have been recognised as such without the association is unlikely and that is your problem .Most county archaeos have some understanding of rock art and maybe even mason's grafftti but the incised stuff is difficult and could be due to plough scarring etc .It could well be man made and intentional but I believe you would have a hard job convincing the archaeos particularly if there is nothing to associate it with .Your'e right marking with a pen is not good practice but researchers have done and continue to do worse .
12pointer
25 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 12:23
thanks very much, I did look up ogham and didn't see any real resemblances to any letters but they do look similar, maybe a styalised form? the grooves that make up the symbols are deep enough not to make them just any old markings though, i.e. actidental ploughing grooves
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 12:42
12pointer wrote:
thanks very much, I did look up ogham and didn't see any real resemblances to any letters but they do look similar, maybe a styalised form? the grooves that make up the symbols are deep enough not to make them just any old markings though, i.e. actidental ploughing grooves

Ploughing grooves can be pretty big/deep and fortunately we can recognise them at least as having been made by metal. That there are man made markings from pre-history that differs from rock art and ogham and is similar to the rock is not in doubt .The problem is showing that these markings belong to that category . I must say I'm not convinced but it would be too easy to overlook .
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Feb 21, 2008, 15:37
The grooves that look like rope burns could be prehistoric - but eroded. The scratched design must be later, if it's on top. Ploughmarks they aren't - as they don't branch - it doesn't correspond to the movement a plough makes. They don't look like anything I know - and I have zero experience of Ogham. You should get in touch with a statutory archaeologist near you - and wait for other opinions to arrive.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index