The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wiltshire »
Wiltshire Sites and Monument Record

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Eternal
924 posts

Wiltshire Sites and Monument Record
Jan 31, 2008, 17:30
The Wiltshire and Swindon Sites and Monument records website is useful. I don't know if this link has been brought to your attention before on this forum, but I've just spent a pleasant half-hour browsing it. The maps with all the sites detailed on them are cracking.

http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/smr/
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Wiltshire Sites and Monument Record
Feb 01, 2008, 09:49
mm maps. That's lovely - thanks a lot. It's quite a new thing??
The Eternal
924 posts

Feb 01, 2008, 10:19
Rhiannon,
I'm not sure how long the site has been going - I only came across it by accident yesterday. I love the way that the site details are superimposed on the modern maps. There's so much information available.
Cheers,
TE.
tomwatts
376 posts

Feb 01, 2008, 10:45
I've got literally hundreds of sites saved on my "BOOKMARKS", most of them containing maps.

Visitors seem to think that a couple of dozen sites is the norm.

Am I being a bit anal retentive??

I don't want to part with any of them.
archaeo
7 posts

Feb 04, 2008, 01:23
Another great new resource online with a searchable database. I found the "long barrows" results useful.

Online synergy keeps getting better. All the images and data here, Peter G. has long barrow panoramas, coordinates convert on nearby.org.uk, Google Earth takes you right over the position, magic.gov.uk has topos, and, taken together, a very complete picture of the sites resolves.
GnK
6 posts

Sep 27, 2017, 16:11
SMR records are vital to protecting heritage and mitigating development impacts...and a key part of Council services that needs its own protection!

Wiltshire, unlike some others, is reasonably up to date.
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index