Castlerigg »
Resurfacing at Castlerigg

7 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Adrenochrome
20 posts

Re: Resurfacing at Castlerigg
Sep 20, 2007, 18:49

"As some of you will have noticed, there are a few worn down bits in the circle at Castlerigg, from heavy footfall and grazing animals - mainly in the sanctuary and between the Northern entrance stones. The NT (with agreement from EH) will be fencing off a section of the field that the Stones stand in - pretty much where the fence on the eastern side is, in order to control the animals grazing on there. They will then be taking turf from the southern end (again, out of sight of the stones) to replace the worn down patches in the circle itself.

Once the patches have been relaid, NT would like to cordon off the new turf until it has had a chance to settle and root in. When they've returfed before, they haven't cordoned off the returfed patches and within a week, the new turf is wrecked, which is why they want to rope it off this time.

Not only will the returfed sections help make Castlerigg an even more beautiful spot, but it will help protect the archaeology, and the stones themselves. The sanctuary is in a particularly bad state, with stones being disturbed because the soil is being compacted by heavy use, not only by visitors, but by animals too.

The NT have asked us at CDO if we would like to help with the work, which will take only a day, and it will be on a weekend in July. They're just waiting for the go-ahead, which is likely to come this week. The fella is going to ring me early next week with a date (I might even be able to time it so's the cordon rope is gone for Lammas )

Anyone interested?"

This is the thread I stumbled accross on the CDO forum, and wondered if anyone here would be interested in getting involved

The work was delayed & should be soon

E-mail:

[email protected]

to get involved or get more info

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index