The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Lewis and Harris »
Rubha Charnain and St Clement's, Roghadal

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1speed
98 posts

Rubha Charnain and St Clement's, Roghadal
Oct 05, 2006, 21:45
I realise St Clement’s church in Roghadal falls outside the scope of this site, but I've just added three pics of a stone which can be found on the second floor of the tower there to the images for Rubha Charnain.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/8408

Given the proximity of the two sites, does anyone think there's any connection, or is it just coincidental? goffik?
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Rubha Charnain and St Clement's, Roghadal
Oct 06, 2006, 09:53
Cripes! Never noticed that! The central positioning in the stone makes it look all the more man-made to me. Although, as I've said many times - I'm no expert..!

I wonder if it may be related to a bullaun? Or something like the "Plague Stone" outside Zennor museum.

Good find! Wonder what other people think..?

G x
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 06, 2006, 10:12
I'm a bit stumped.

It's the raised lip around the bowl/cup/thingy that makes me suspicious. It sorta looks like there's peckmarks, but a raised lip is v unusual.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Oct 06, 2006, 10:50
Indeed! That's sort of why I was thinking less along the lines of cup-mark and more along the lines of... meh? ;o)

But it certainly looks very regular to me - too regular to be natural, I mean...

G x
1speed
98 posts

Oct 06, 2006, 12:27
goffik wrote:
Cripes! Never noticed that! The central positioning in the stone makes it look all the more man-made to me. Although, as I've said many times - I'm no expert..!

I wonder if it may be related to a bullaun? Or something like the "Plague Stone" outside Zennor museum.

Good find! Wonder what other people think..?

G x

Heh heh, I never noticed it the first time I went up the tower (earlier this year) either. This time it just leapt out at me.

From what I can remember, it's near-as-dammit a perfect circle, and while the depression feels comparatively smooth / regular to the touch, it's got the same rough basic texture as the rest of the stone (if that makes sense?) - it's also fairly shallow, so I'm guessing it's not been scoured out by a stone and water, nor do there appear to be other marks of any kind on the stone.

I'll go and have another look next time I'm on the island, and will also definitely try to take in Rubha Charnain as well - had to give it a miss this time as we were "doing Harris" in a day before getting back to Callanish in time for for the moon skim!!!
rockartuk
rockartuk
194 posts

Oct 07, 2006, 13:22
Hi guys!
A lot of references are made to, what is called 'the most outstanding church building in the Hebrides, in canmore database (NG08SW 7.00) with a serie of nice photos of the in- and exterior.
No mentioning of a carved stone in the tower though.
There were three major restaurations which took place in 1784, 1787 and 1873.
Now in the latter year the significance of carved stones were known but, apart from that, I can fully understand why this marked stone of different colour was choosen as a corner stone.
There are more 'disc-like' cups known, mainly in the Highland region, and we have added less significant ones to BRAC.
So for us: its a possibly re-used/shaped block with a disc-like cup and ring.
Cheers,
Jan

PS: 1speed; is it OK with you when we use some of your pics on BRAC?
http://rockartuk.fotopic.net
Thanks!
1speed
98 posts

Oct 07, 2006, 21:44
rockartuk wrote:
Hi guys!
A lot of references are made to, what is called 'the most outstanding church building in the Hebrides, in canmore database (NG08SW 7.00) with a serie of nice photos of the in- and exterior.
No mentioning of a carved stone in the tower though.
There were three major restaurations which took place in 1784, 1787 and 1873.
Now in the latter year the significance of carved stones were known but, apart from that, I can fully understand why this marked stone of different colour was choosen as a corner stone.
There are more 'disc-like' cups known, mainly in the Highland region, and we have added less significant ones to BRAC.
So for us: its a possibly re-used/shaped block with a disc-like cup and ring.
Cheers,
Jan

PS: 1speed; is it OK with you when we use some of your pics on BRAC?
http://rockartuk.fotopic.net
Thanks!

"Less significant ones"? Wow!!!

Thanks for the insight, Jan. By all means feel free to use my pics if you want. I only actually took the three I've posted here - if you want the full size originals just give me a shout and I'll email them to you.

Tony
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Oct 07, 2006, 21:47
If it were in Samoa, it would have mebbe got labelled as a 'foaga':
http://www.terragalleria.com/pictures-subjects/potholes/picture.potholes.samo3915.html
rockartuk
rockartuk
194 posts

Oct 07, 2006, 21:56
Hi Tony,
Thanks for using your pics on BRAC. Leave us a message from there so that we can inform you when the pics are uploaded.
Cheers,
Jan
rockartuk
rockartuk
194 posts

Oct 07, 2006, 21:59
Nice ones, Hob!
I share your view about the raised lip although my first impression was that you were talking different stuff!
We have seen this kind of disc-like cups before, haven't we. But where?
Cheers,
Jan
The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index