Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mountainman
90 posts

Re: The bluestone debate
Dec 17, 2008, 13:49
nigelswift wrote:
"until somebody comes up with a killer fact."

Would a video do? ;)

I would have thought the lack of a huge pile of leftovers needs explaining before you can say there's no evidence of human transport. Apart from small chippings there's not a lot left and no holes.
I don't think your suggestion they were all used in the monument or as mauls or packing explains it adequately - there'd be just too much wouldn't there?

A video of some chaps hauling stones to show that it was possible? I could show you another video of the Millennium Stone fiasco, to show that it wasn't possible. Back to circular reasoning again -- if we can show that there was a way for it to be done on a nice flat piece of Salisbury Plain, then it probably was done. Of course, it would be just as circular to argue that because the Millennium Stone project failed, therefore long-distance stone transport was impossible! But that was a much closer replication of the real world situation, with hills, valleys, wooded terrain, and rough sea -- so I would put more store by it than the Stonehenge "engineering" experiments.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index