390 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Re: The bluestone debate
Nov 22, 2008, 16:15
tonyh wrote:
ISteve proposed it as a workable idea. I disagree.

I didn't actually propose it as a workable idea. I said:

Steve Gray" wrote:
So what if 50 farmers turned up each with his own pair of oxen and a long rope? Each pair would be supervised by their owner and separated by enough space to avoid problems.

That's hardly a case of proposing a workable idea. The tone was even slightly tongue-in-cheek. I put the proposition forward because it was the opposite case of harnessing them all together as a single team. It wasn't in itself supposed to be THE answer, just a way of stimulating a sensible discussion about the use of oxen power.

But you responded with a tirade of mocking, arrogant, patronising, derrogatory heckling.

Now, finally, we do get a reasoned response from you. Why on earth couldn't you have done that in the first place and saved us all this aggro?

If you really want a proper discussion about it, I'll respond to the points you've raised, and if you present a sufficiently strong argument against some aspect of it, then we modify the idea to take into account what won't work.

Ultimately it may turn out to be unworkable, but I'd prefer to discuss it properly before ruling it out entirely. Often an original idea may be no good, but something better comes out of the discussions.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index