Stonehenge and its Environs »
The bluestone debate

390 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GordonP
474 posts

Re: For what it's worth...
Nov 21, 2008, 21:42
[quote="Moth"]What a shame this discussion has become somewhat acrimonious. Just in the vague hope it can resume, I thought I'd put in me tuppenceworth....

Dear Moth

Ever the peacemaker, if you were enjoying the debate then what can I do but continue.

I have spent a great deal of my life pondering on the mystery of how stone-age man achieved the wonders of Stonehenge, Easter Island, etc etc.

I have formed certain opinions as to how they may managed to perform the seemingly impossible, these opinions are genuine and I post, not to score points in some pointless game, but for genuine responses in the hope that some one may see something I have overlooked.

None of my opinions were formed in a classroom but are drawn from my own experience of hard labour during my youth, something I enjoyed and was well paid for. I have at times spent 12 hour shifts swinging a 14lb sledgehammer in order to shore up timber formwork to hold in place 100s of tons of wet concrete so I know the meaning of hard work and a little of engineering.

One opinion I have formed is that Neolithic man was as intelligent on average as the average man alive today. That is, in my opinion, far to intelligent to even comtemplate dragging dragging massive megaliths about the countryside.

That thought has been the bedrock of all the possible solutions I have offered.

I have little time for argument for the sake of argument.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index