Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tonyh
247 posts

Re: The bluestone debate
Nov 18, 2008, 17:56
tiompan wrote:
GordonP wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Well that was the Burl point you have previously made, that I mentioned; too few families groups in the area. Subsequent events seem to suggest large gatherings COULD be mustered, perhaps from far afield. "Too few people" is certainly not a strong plank for asserting the sarsens were moved by a limited group IMO. It's miraculous enough without adding a second layer of miracle by postulating it was done by a much smaller group than looking at it and applying common sense would suggest.

It would have needed a very large gathering and one that would have had to be housed, fed and watered for perhaps 20 years or more.

Although if pushed I would fall into Brains camp ,I'm surprised there is no mention of the human use of ice/snow for transportation .

The thing about ice and snow is that it is very unreliable..

Ground conditions in winter are far wetter and softer than summer and even if you have ground frosts, ice and snow. These conditions give the work force far more problems than if you were working in summer..
Spring would be best. the Ground would have firmed up but the vegetation would still hold a lot of sap to lubricate the load..

Talking of vegetation. It's not just the ground that has to been considered. moving a load through brushwood or woodland would be extremely difficult..

Tony
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index