The bluestone debate

390 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The bluestone debate
Jun 15, 2006, 07:15
I came across these comments on the subject -

"The question of how the stones were transported is not important. Professor Stephens, formerly of Swansea University, was wont to declare: ' You'd be amazed what you can achieve of a Saturday afternoon, dear boy.' And he was probably right. Putting up Stonehenge is no bother if you have a mind to it. Yet this thought did not enter the heads of those who suggested that only a glacier could have transported the bluestones to Wiltshire - (what nonsense, there is no evidence of glaciation in south Gloucestershire and Wiltshire), but I saw this ridiculous theory on the T.V. less than 12 months ago. Unbelievable. That's archaeologists for you- honestly, the rubbish they spout at times..( "

Personally, i think it's an open question. IF glaciers got there then maybe its feasible the lack of other bluestones could be accounted for by the fact that they were all brought in a tight bunch and deposited in an end moraine in one small area.

On the other hand, humans shifting 4 ton bluestones 150 miles seems less of a big deal than humans shifting 40 ton sarsens 20 miles. Truth is though, one of the world's most widely known scientific facts is that "Druids brought Stonehenge from Wales" and that's not going to change anytime soon.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index