The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
zed rods

29 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
woodhouse
38 posts

Re: zed rods
Nov 22, 2001, 21:52
Lucky me...I was in edinburgh today and went to the Museum of scotland ( AKA what was once the museum of antiquities)....for the princely sum of nothing, joe public can wander through the most beautiful museum and dwell for a whilst amonst the pictish parts..which are very well organised with info amidst some commissioned stone and sculpted art. There were very few fibs on display.

Just to look at the pictish silver objects ( not the celtic ones!) speaks volumes...look out for the zed rod Norrie Law earrings..gawk. The race of minds that made these things were fired with imagination and artful skill. Too many other stunning things to mention. ( oops except the woven hood/shawl from St Andrews around 800Ad...ultra smart garment)

Yep I have read bits about the origins which agree with the celt / pict origin and split ideas. One thing about the picts seems to be that they were adept with languages....pict, latin, greek etc....even evidence of use of Phoenician script. But when it came to Ogham my guess was that it wasnt really their major suit......first of all to folks who could carve knots in stone..it was pretty crude...second it doesnt transliterate very well...hence maybe why where there is ogham on pictish stone the letters are gibberish...as we dont know the language they were transliterating from.

heres to free museums and a curse on those who nicked pict parts in the past.

W

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index