The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
zed rods

29 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caergog
393 posts

Re: zed rods
Nov 21, 2001, 23:41
one time a couple of years back when i was in inverness i went to visit the boarstone in its new house ( it used to be near by where i grew up but was moved due to weather damage) any way I was sure i could see little lines on it that looked like ogam but as i don't know an awful lot about ogham i dismissed this as my imagination as i would have thought some one else was bound to have noticed this if i had. Sometime later i read something in the local paper about another stone apparently having ogam on it but I never heard any more about this. my personal feelings about the picts is that who ever they were (pict just being a roman term) I think they existed long before what is generally accepted I can't really explain this except that they were obviously well established by the time the romans noticed them and also must have been pretty good fighters since the romans couldn't beat them. My personal belief is they probably originated from eastern europe/russia (I think this is stated some where) came round the top and settled in northern scotland a very very long time ago.
As is well documented the celts ( again another very dubious term originateing from the greeks) are thought to have eastern european connections too. My feeling is 'picts' and 'celts'could well have originated from the same people and just gone off in different directions breeding and learning along the way. genetics would be an interesting tool for this purpose but due to alot of later interbreeding it would probably be quite confusing.
I know thats probably crap too now but i need to be shown why it is crap as for some reason i feel this in my bones, it has probably built up over the years from reading a bit here and there and making too many connections !
love caroline

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index