Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jun 09, 2010, 14:30
Re: Circles under churches
Jun 09, 2010, 13:54
Fascinating!

Good to see you here again Mr B, and thanks to you and Mrs B for the postcards. Sorry you won't be able to make it to the 2010 Megameet but hope to see you next year. Meanwhile, the link to the Lion in the Megameet thread may bring back some happy memories.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2017, 13:13
Aug 28, 2017, 13:02
Not quite in the vein of ‘Circles under churches’ but might be of interest. Odinist Fellowship demands return of two church buildings.

Edit: The first comment there might also be of interest.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Aug 28, 2017, 14:57
Ah nice bit of Romanesque carving there (a sychronicity with the Lincolnshire remarks on the other thread). But why would it be Odin, he only had one eye. Isn't that the way one recognises him!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Aug 28, 2017, 16:24
Aug 28, 2017, 16:22
Rhiannon wrote:
But why would it be Odin, he only had one eye. Isn't that the way one recognises him!

There is a question mark after Odin in the caption under the Great Canfield carving so, yes, room for doubt. Before he sacrificed one eye though he would have had both. :-)

Take a look at this Icelandic illuminated manuscript from the 18th century. His right eye is missing but note the three cornered hat (not clear in the photo taken at Great Canfield but it's there) and the two birds to his right and left (can’t remember their names but moss knows). The same symbols seem to be present on the Great Canfield carving.
david gregg
15 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 14:47
Hello. I recently analysed survey diagrams of the curvi-linear graveyard platform at Overchurch , Upton on the Wirral. The original church was Norman (possibly Saxon) but the platform appears to be much older. I analysed the platform geometry and found the site of the Norman church and its shape was related to the platform. In your words the church position 'respected' the geometry I believe was once marked by several stones. (Only two remain). The platform sits near the centre of a vary larger circle of (at least) 7 stones. See my book 'The Overchurch Mystery'. Perhaps there was often an accommodation between the incoming Christians and the local pagans? The Overchurch site features appear to mark the 4 old cross-quarter day festivals for example.
Professor D P Gregg (retired)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2017, 16:30
Nov 22, 2017, 16:25
david gregg wrote:
Hello. I recently analysed survey diagrams of the curvi-linear graveyard platform at Overchurch , Upton on the Wirral. The original church was Norman (possibly Saxon) but the platform appears to be much older. I analysed the platform geometry and found the site of the Norman church and its shape was related to the platform. In your words the church position 'respected' the geometry I believe was once marked by several stones. (Only two remain). The platform sits near the centre of a vary larger circle of (at least) 7 stones. See my book 'The Overchurch Mystery'. Perhaps there was often an accommodation between the incoming Christians and the local pagans? The Overchurch site features appear to mark the 4 old cross-quarter day festivals for example.
Professor D P Gregg (retired)

Welcome Professor Gregg, you are a healer, uniting everyone ;).

I think a lot of prehistoric stones round churches, are the Christian equivalent to snubbing the pagan religion. The Rudston monument seems to stick a defiant thumbs up to the church next to it.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Nov 22, 2017, 18:09
moss wrote:

Well yes, welcome from me too Professor Gregg. Whilst not wishing to be argumentative (and you know I normally like your posts Moss) Professor Gregg is not a healer uniting everyone. Interesting his theories may or may not be, he is here to promote his book.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Nov 23, 2017, 06:18
tjj wrote:
moss wrote:

Well yes, welcome from me too Professor Gregg. Whilst not wishing to be argumentative (and you know I normally like your posts Moss) Professor Gregg is not a healer uniting everyone. Interesting his theories may or may not be, he is here to promote his book.

Well promoting one's book is not a terrible sin tjj, after all quite a few have done it on this forum helped by their friends.;)
david gregg
15 posts

Nov 23, 2017, 16:39
Hello. If I was here to promote my books I would give full references. The book was mentioned because evidence for my statements was demanded. I cannot reproduce an 80 page book here. However if any one wants a 'free' copy of my shorter paper on the Fender Lane Stone Array just provide an email address.

I came onto this site seeking information and serious discussion, not rudeness.
I can see now why the forum moderators feel it necessary to put up warning messages and why, apparently, good people have left.

Prof. Dave Gregg
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 24, 2017, 13:10
Nov 23, 2017, 19:54
david gregg wrote:
Hello. If I was here to promote my books I would give full references. The book was mentioned because evidence for my statements was demanded. I cannot reproduce an 80 page book here. However if any one wants a 'free' copy of my shorter paper on the Fender Lane Stone Array just provide an email address.

I came onto this site seeking information and serious discussion, not rudeness.
I can see now why the forum moderators feel it necessary to put up warning messages and why, apparently, good people have left.

Prof. Dave Gregg

Hi Dave, I don't think I've spoken to you directly as yet - mainly because I'm not at all familiar with the geographical area you have talked about. I don't think anyone here minds someone coming onto the forum to discuss their ideas or to talk about a book they've written - on the contrary, it is welcomed. I didn't intend to be rude so sincere apologies if my comment to Moss which referenced you came across that way.

Once again welcome. I hope you continue to stay and contribute.

All the best
tjj
Pages: 28 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index