The Village Pump »
The Handmaids Tale

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
761 posts

Edited Jul 24, 2017, 19:52
The Handmaids Tale
Jul 24, 2017, 19:35
Calliing tjj & tsc & others i suspect. Have they done this well? Do you find it profound & kind of relevant? I'm finding it so well done on so many levels. Not necessarily the alienation & subjection of women; we have moved on i think! But the astonishing ways in which people behave against their better natures in the supposed pursuit of"ideology" & the way that the rest of us have to cope with this. What the fuck are we all doing? Margaret Atwood...yea!
I really !ike some of the music too x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
5877 posts

Re: The Handmaids Tale
Jul 24, 2017, 20:04
I'm now two episodes behind, but have enjoyed it very much so far.

If there is a criticism it's that it's a little slow in places and gives the feeling, at least to me, that this is only really because of the need to fill a season (or two, as it seems to have got a 2nd one) rather than because the plot particularly needs a slow-build of tension.

I've not read the book so I don't know how it compares. I think Atwood is a wonderful writer though, The Blind Assassin is one of the best books I've ever read.
carol27
761 posts

Jul 24, 2017, 23:17
I should read the Blind Assasin again, I know it's all retrospective. I'm so lazy. Her "science fiction" trilogy is supposed to be great. Oryx & Crake and so on. Anyway I like the cut of her jib. I know what you mean about slowness but that actress is pretty splendid isn't she? I notice she's also producing it.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
5877 posts

Jul 24, 2017, 23:34
carol27 wrote:
I should read the Blind Assasin again, I know it's all retrospective. I'm so lazy. Her "science fiction" trilogy is supposed to be great. Oryx & Crake and so on. Anyway I like the cut of her jib. I know what you mean about slowness but that actress is pretty splendid isn't she? I notice she's also producing it.

Oh, funnily I just read Oryx & Crake, found it in a charity shop while we were in Cornwall. Will look out for the other two in the trilogy (it's quite weird isn't it?).

Yes, the actress and all the cast are superb. Hadn't realised she also produced it.
giNgko_C
giNgko_C
381 posts

Jul 26, 2017, 23:10
Donald Trump lectures cub scout jamboree about fake noose
tjj
tjj
3354 posts

Edited Jul 27, 2017, 14:08
Jul 27, 2017, 14:07
carol27 wrote:
Calliing tjj & tsc & others i suspect. Have they done this well? Do you find it profound & kind of relevant? I'm finding it so well done on so many levels. Not necessarily the alienation & subjection of women; we have moved on i think! But the astonishing ways in which people behave against their better natures in the supposed pursuit of"ideology" & the way that the rest of us have to cope with this. What the fuck are we all doing? Margaret Atwood...yea!
I really !ike some of the music too x

Just seen this Carol. Yes, the best thing on tv at the moment (last episode this Sunday). Elisabeth Moss is excellent and crops up again tonight in a new series of Jane Campion's 'Top of the Lake'.

PS: Guilty Pleasure - also watch Poldark on Sunday evening.
tjj
tjj
3354 posts

Jul 31, 2017, 15:02
And so the final episode yesterday evening, compelling viewing right to the end.
Very good Guardian review ...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jul/31/handmaids-tale-final-episode-review?CMP=fb_gu
Kid Calamity
8941 posts

Jul 31, 2017, 15:07
tjj wrote:
...Elisabeth Moss is excellent and crops up again tonight in a new series of Jane Campion's 'Top of the Lake'.

At Castle Calamity we're currently playing catch up on 'Mad Men'. Moss has a pretty major role in this too. We're on series 5 though and (spoiler alert) she's just handed her notice in, so we might not see quite so much of her in the remaining two series. I don't know.
The Village Pump Index