Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3109 posts

microphone woe
May 31, 2017, 11:41
Hello there.

How you's doin'? etc.

I have a posh microphone. An unexpectedly overspecified christmas present. I was expecting something fairly basic. Instead I got a shiny complicated thing which outputs to a 3.5 mil jackplug, which then goes into a usb dongle thing which then goes into a computer.

I tried plugging it directly into the pc, but without the usb connection the mic has no power. Same when I connect it via jackplug to an effects pedal. No output.

It has no battery. There is nowhere for a battery to be, from what I've seen. I've opened it up and had a look at it's guts and there's no space even for a watch battery.

So it has to be connected via the jack through the usb.

But the usb dongle contains some kind of proprietary sound driver, and if I insist on using my proper sound card, I get no output. But the proprietary soundcard on the dongle massively reduces the audio setting options available, and I can't do what I need to do.

The instructions for the mic are in broken english.

"Turn on your amplifier or mixing board and set the volume control to minimum position. To connect the phantom power to the microphone turning on the phantom switch, accomodate the volume control from low to high so obtained effect to your moderate level for protected the sauna from pounding."

I'm assuming that "Phantom power" is the current coming in from the usb connection?
Kid Calamity
8931 posts

Re: microphone woe
May 31, 2017, 12:10
Got a brand or model name?
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Edited May 31, 2017, 13:28
May 31, 2017, 13:25
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6ILPPC/?tag=stackoverfl08-20

edit:
or you could try "thumping it in a sauna"
must be 'Ingrish'
PMM
PMM
3109 posts

Jun 01, 2017, 19:14
It's a tonor bm-700

not alone in having issues...

http://www.crowdedbrain.co.uk/hifi/tonor-bm-700-xrl-to-3-5mm-podcasting-studio-recording-condenser-microphone.html
PMM
PMM
3109 posts

Jun 01, 2017, 19:17
Thanks Dodge. It does supply power so it might help. Will explore other avenues first before spending money on something that might still not work.
bauheed
bauheed
828 posts

Jun 01, 2017, 20:26
USB has a 5V 250mA output, so yes, I expect that's where its getting it's power from.

There's a utility program available here called USBView which will let you see who the USB interface chip used in this device is made by. If you can figure that out, that might tell you where to look for the driver (although I would have expected something like a microphone to use one of the native Windows audio drivers). Obviously I am assuming that your on a Windows machine here.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#MicrosoftUSBView
giNgko_C
giNgko_C
363 posts

Jun 03, 2017, 00:48
FUCKING HELL
giNgko_C
giNgko_C
363 posts

Edited Jun 03, 2017, 03:05
Jun 03, 2017, 02:58
this is like the bloody Haji 56k modem i dug out of my mothers garage.

If you're serious about audio recording get a USB audio interface card from juno.co.uk and get any form of matching XLR connection mike

are you so audio illiterate you can't remember how to plug in a Shure SM57 or any budget Neumann condenser mic?

I know laptop market has reduced magical soundcard XLR options to bare stereo

and if you're
super serious
about scottish devolution
search rubadub on eBay

then download a stock audio bed and record "good ambulance" whilst shaking hands with your imaginary audience
PMM
PMM
3109 posts

Jun 05, 2017, 00:42
Turns out that I was labouring under a misapprehension.

The mic connects to the usb thing. You then connect another jack to the output from the dongle and plug it in to an audio input.

Problem solved.
giNgko_C
giNgko_C
363 posts

Edited Jun 08, 2017, 00:52
Jun 07, 2017, 21:07
Yay!
God I've been a bit lairy recently, hope your recording goes well. (I didn't read the news until Sunday Morning)x
The Village Pump Index