The Village Pump »
Turntables

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
8933 posts

Turntables
Mar 08, 2017, 14:44
I'm a bit out of touch with what's good and what's overrated, but I'm looking into getting a turntable.

Basically, I was given a rather nice looking Technics one, by a friend. He convinced me it had been treated well, by his late father in law, and as he'd already a good one, passed it on to me. Lovely.

So, over the last week or so, I've been trawling eBay for a good amplifier - and bagged what I hope is a cracking one by Cambridge Audio. So far, so good. Just need to source some speakers now. Anyway, last night I plumbed the turntable and amp into a sideboard. Turntable of top, leads down the back, out of sight and the amp in a cupboard with leads passed in through a hole in the back. Nice a discrete. Then, the check I'd plugged everything in right, lifted the turntable arm to check the power was on... and there's a horrible noise from the motor. The noise continues even when I've removed the turntable base. The motor's screwed.

So...

I need a turntable.

I could also do with a bit of good luck, these days.
machineryelf
3688 posts

Re: Turntables
Mar 08, 2017, 17:02
http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/elemental/proj-elem-red they'll do a good set of speakers as well, if you want hi-fi unless you've got silly money you can't beat richersounds
Kid Calamity
8933 posts

Edited Mar 08, 2017, 17:15
Mar 08, 2017, 17:14
Brilliant thank you.

I'll explore this, rather than relying on eBay - or friends who mean well...

machinery elf wrote:
...unless you've got silly money you can't beat richersounds

My money is quite silly. It keeps disappearing.
petemcfc
145 posts

Mar 08, 2017, 18:16
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/turntables.28/

These helped me rebuild my AR-XA
Moon Cat
9698 posts

Mar 08, 2017, 20:47
Kid Calamity wrote:
I'm a bit out of touch with what's good and what's overrated, but I'm looking into getting a turntable.

Basically, I was given a rather nice looking Technics one, by a friend. He convinced me it had been treated well, by his late father in law, and as he'd already a good one, passed it on to me. Lovely.

So, over the last week or so, I've been trawling eBay for a good amplifier - and bagged what I hope is a cracking one by Cambridge Audio. So far, so good. Just need to source some speakers now. Anyway, last night I plumbed the turntable and amp into a sideboard. Turntable of top, leads down the back, out of sight and the amp in a cupboard with leads passed in through a hole in the back. Nice a discrete. Then, the check I'd plugged everything in right, lifted the turntable arm to check the power was on... and there's a horrible noise from the motor. The noise continues even when I've removed the turntable base. The motor's screwed.

So...

I need a turntable.

I could also do with a bit of good luck, these days.

I have an Ariston deck that's been keeping me happy for the last 15 years or so. I married it with a Cambridge Audio amp and Gale speakers. I'm not really an audiophile, but for what I spent back then, it's been a decent set up for vinyl (and cassette and cd) doings.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
5850 posts

Mar 08, 2017, 20:56
Can't go wrong with an entry-level Pro-ject turntable. I'm on my second Pro-ject Debut in about 15 years, I only got the second cos it came with a USB output (that I've used hardly at all but still nurse dreams of one day getting my shit together and digitising all my vinyl).

But the sound is very good and the quality is up there with a more expensive turntable - it cost about £150 iirc. Proper tone arm, weighting, etc, not like some of the shite they sell in HMV etc now. I think that model is probably long discontinued now, but they're definitely a good make to look for if you're on a budget.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Mar 08, 2017, 22:35
I could write a thesis on turntables and such...
Never been without a turntable in active service in my life.{54 years}
I own half a dozen currently, all vintage at least 30 years or older..
Yamaha,Technics,Philips,and a wonderful old wood base Grundig which I have set up exclusively for playing 78 Rpm discs.
The magic is in the cartridges though, I really have a large collection of them...Signets,Shures,ADC,Audio Technica,Technics,Ortofon,Grado,Pickering....etc...
Most of the good old days stuff has been snagged up by enthusiasts/collectors though.
As far as styli/stylus/needles are concerned, your choices are limited to predominately 'JICO' {a Japanese concern wholly devoted to the manufacture of very high end and exotically cut diamond replacement styli for the better cartridges of yesteryear...
...EXPENSIVE... though...
But worth it.
Only source for a replacement stylus for a shure V15type V cartridge anywhere...with a ruby cantilever too...
The old Beryllium cantilevers were notorious for snapping in half if you were not extremely careful cleaning the stylus.
If you can bag an old shure M91 cartridge, they are the shit too.
Styli still available thru 'JICO'
I think it's highly worth it to not skimp in this area.
There is a huge difference between a conical cut diamond vs. a bi-radial elliptical and beyond in sonics.
Also, with a name like 'Kid Calamity' I really think you should seek some help in restoring any vintage gear from a competent old gear head.
Some great resources:

http://www.needledoctor.com/

http://www.jico-stylus.com/

How the heck does any muso not have a turntable ?
petemcfc
145 posts

Mar 08, 2017, 22:50
I personally would try to fix the Technics,it was free so I wouldn't mind throwing a few quid on it,and if you can then source or fix the motor,a tip is lube the motor spindle with sewing machine oil.
I would join the forum I linked its US based but full of TT nerds.
Technics are the go to DJ TTs thats what gets their name they are solid workhorses but sonically flat.
I have sourced a few tables by going on Ebay and limiting the search to 10 miles from your postcode and buyer collects,that drops the price,also vendors don't always pack correctly so tone arms or dust covers could get smashed and a cash only deal allows you to view and or audition it.
I would be in no rush either,if you have not been without a TT for a number of years,3,6,12 months is nothing.
If you can get the Technics working you can stand back and wait for a classic to turn up,they do.
Then follow up the masterstroke,flog the Technics,through the revival hipsters who want to upgrade from a Crossley or Ion will go for a name they know and Technics is the name they go for,thus the price is high.
As in an earlier post an Ariston is a corking TT,but most people will think of a washing machine manufacture.
My AR is a late '60S beauty,Thorens copied the suspension,and I also have a Thorens TD-280 bought off Ebay for £35 unworking.
The vendor who aquired it in a house clearance didn't know how to switch it on.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Mar 08, 2017, 23:05
Check out this site too:

https://www.vinylengine.com/
petemcfc
145 posts

Edited Mar 08, 2017, 23:08
Mar 08, 2017, 23:06
dhajjieboy wrote:
I could write a thesis on turntables and such...
Never been without a turntable in active service in my life.{54 years}
I own half a dozen currently, all vintage at least 30 years or older..
Yamaha,Technics,Philips,and a wonderful old wood base Grundig which I have set up exclusively for playing 78 Rpm discs.
The magic is in the cartridges though, I really have a large collection of them...Signets,Shures,ADC,Audio Technica,Technics,Ortofon,Grado,Pickering....etc...
Most of the good old days stuff has been snagged up by enthusiasts/collectors though.
As far as styli/stylus/needles are concerned, your choices are limited to predominately 'JICO' {a Japanese concern wholly devoted to the manufacture of very high end and exotically cut diamond replacement styli for the better cartridges of yesteryear...
...EXPENSIVE... though...
But worth it.
Only source for a replacement stylus for a shure V15type V cartridge anywhere...with a ruby cantilever too...
The old Beryllium cantilevers were notorious for snapping in half if you were not extremely careful cleaning the stylus.
If you can bag an old shure M91 cartridge, they are the shit too.
Styli still available thru 'JICO'
I think it's highly worth it to not skimp in this area.
There is a huge difference between a conical cut diamond vs. a bi-radial elliptical and beyond in sonics.
Also, with a name like 'Kid Calamity' I really think you should seek some help in restoring any vintage gear from a competent old gear head.
Some great resources:

http://www.needledoctor.com/

http://www.jico-stylus.com/

How the heck does any muso not have a turntable ?

Acoustic Research AR-XA,Shure V15 MK 3,JICO replacement Super Track + stylus running to a pair of recently recapped bi-amped Nad 302s from there to a pair of bi-wired Bower and Watkins speakers.
Debbie Gibson never sounded so much in the flesh,(is that wrong?).
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index