The Village Pump »
"Sick on You" The Disastrous Story of The Hollywood Brats

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9704 posts

"Sick on You" The Disastrous Story of The Hollywood Brats
Feb 22, 2017, 15:01
Further to the rock memoirs what are yer reading things, having borrowed Andrew Matheson's autobiographical history of the not much of a rise and definite fall of The Hollywood Brats from the library, I can safely say it is one of the funniest and bleakest rock memoirs I've read in ages. I'd put it up there with Cope's memoirs in entertainment value.

It could feasibly translate into angood "Slade in Flame" style grimy rock biz movie too.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
597 posts

Re: "Sick on You" The Disastrous Story of The Hollywood Brats
Feb 23, 2017, 12:26
Moon Cat wrote:
Further to the rock memoirs what are yer reading things, having borrowed Andrew Matheson's autobiographical history of the not much of a rise and definite fall of The Hollywood Brats from the library, I can safely say it is one of the funniest and bleakest rock memoirs I've read in ages. I'd put it up there with Cope's memoirs in entertainment value.

It could feasibly translate into angood "Slade in Flame" style grimy rock biz movie too.

I've been tempted by that one for some time (it keeps coming up as a recommendation on my Kindle) so may give it a go!
Moon Cat
9704 posts

Feb 23, 2017, 20:07
Andfurthermoreagain wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

I've been tempted by that one for some time (it keeps coming up as a recommendation on my Kindle) so may give it a go!

Proper page turner. An excellent evocation of the scuzzy end of being in a 70's band in London told with genuine panache
Monganaut
Monganaut
1748 posts

Feb 25, 2017, 00:02
By a strange coincidence I've just finished this. What a great read. Guy has some beautiful turns of phrase, and you find yourself rooting for em' despite coming across as a bunch of knob shiners (in the nicest possible way). It is also laugh out loud funny in parts. And for once, despite not making it, they seem to have a half decent mentor in 'Ken', despite him working for some, shall we say shady gangster types at Worldwide Artists'. Deffo worth a pick up if rock biogs are ya thang, a real page turner.
Moon Cat
9704 posts

Feb 25, 2017, 01:09
Monganaut wrote:
By a strange coincidence I've just finished this. What a great read. Guy has some beautiful turns of phrase, and you find yourself rooting for em' despite coming across as a bunch of knob shiners (in the nicest possible way). It is also laugh out loud funny in parts. And for once, despite not making it, they seem to have a half decent mentor in 'Ken', despite him working for some, shall we say shady gangster types at Worldwide Artists'. Deffo worth a pick up if rock biogs are ya thang, a real page turner.

Yes, that really.

The last chapter that gently but hilariously reveals just how much they influenced UK punk almost seems like braggadocio - without any real bitterness I might add - until you hear the album that was sporadically, eventually released. When you hear that, the claims makes sense, and the whole, good idea, wrong time seems apparent. And, you know what? They WERE better than the New York Dolls. And I love the Dolls.
Monganaut
Monganaut
1748 posts

Feb 25, 2017, 16:49
Know what you mean about the last chapter. Do like what I heard on youtube, but for me, that first Dolls album is still a killer that takes some beating (well in it's genre). Cos' the record was only officially released in (Sweden was it?), do you think Hanoi Rocks copped a listen, they seem to have nicked a few ideas fer sure.
Moon Cat
9704 posts

Feb 26, 2017, 15:33
Monganaut wrote:
Know what you mean about the last chapter. Do like what I heard on youtube, but for me, that first Dolls album is still a killer that takes some beating (well in it's genre). Cos' the record was only officially released in (Sweden was it?), do you think Hanoi Rocks copped a listen, they seem to have nicked a few ideas fer sure.

Yes, a version of the album came out in Sweden (as Andrew Matheson & The Brats) Hanoi Rocks were from Finland, but yes, I can certainly hear the Brats in them and I think they dropped the name in interviews back in the day and acknowledged the influence.
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
597 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 09:13
Moon Cat wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Proper page turner. An excellent evocation of the scuzzy end of being in a 70's band in London told with genuine panache

I've got it and started reading it - it's good, very good!
Locodogz
Locodogz
232 posts

Feb 27, 2017, 11:22
You've talked me into it! Just heading off to Foyles now.....
Moon Cat
9704 posts

Feb 28, 2017, 18:59
Moon Cat wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

I've got it and started reading it - it's good, very good!

Cool! I can really see a film in it.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index