Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 04:59
John Hurt Dead
Jan 28, 2017, 04:52
I knew there was a reason why I couldn't sleep tonight (aside from the coffee). This is going to sting badly. He's one of those cats whose filmographies I've painstakingly plumbed for those fascinating overlooked gems (see: everything he made in the '70s other than Alien). I knew he was struggling, as he had to pull out of Terry Gilliam's ill-fated Don Quixote project because of cancer, but I figured he was plucky enough to pull through. Only saw him a week ago on the big screen as a warm-hearted priest in that Jackie Onassis film. Naturally he was the best thing about it. Fuck.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 07:45
Re: John Hurt Dead
Jan 28, 2017, 05:12
What a actor. Apart from his portraying of Quentin Crisp, which was good. I totally loved that penguin movie also.

The Elephant Man too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye4YTZOq2fk
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 05:37
Mr. Forbush and the Penguins! That may be my first port of call when I've got the time tomorrow. Haven't seen that in ages, but I do remember that it was pretty unique. Did you ever catch the Naked Civil Servant sequel from a few years ago? Nowhere near as iconic of course, but worth a watch. So many roles.

He still had a sparkle in his eyes. You can see that death's skull start to supplant the face of someone who's given up, but from what I saw of him recently he was still all-in. He had at least a decade's worth of interesting roles in him. Another recent movie he stole was that Jim Jarmusch rock vampire flick, Only Lovers Left Alive. Come back!!!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 06:24
Jan 28, 2017, 06:00
Sin Agog wrote:
Mr. Forbush and the Penguins! That may be my first port of call when I've got the time tomorrow. Haven't seen that in ages, but I do remember that it was pretty unique. Did you ever catch the Naked Civil Servant sequel from a few years ago? Nowhere near as iconic of course, but worth a watch. So many roles.

He still had a sparkle in his eyes. You can see that death's skull start to supplant the face of someone who's given up, but from what I saw of him recently he was still all-in. He had at least a decade's worth of interesting roles in him. Another recent movie he stole was that Jim Jarmusch rock vampire flick, Only Lovers Left Alive. Come back!!!

I haven't seen the sequel of 'The Naked Civil Servant'. I didn't think there was a point making another compared to the original. Was is Stephen Fry? Or was that Oscar Wilde? Anyway, John Hurt was one of the last Shakespearean actors. And I as one shall bless his existance :) And mourne his rugged face !
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
5878 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 07:27
Oh no. Such a great actor.

Alien, Elephant Man, 1984 (it's his voice in my mind as I re-read the novel), so many magnificent performances, as well as gaining new fans through Harry Potter and Doctor Who. RIP
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 11:23
Re: John Hurt D
Jan 28, 2017, 11:08
It was based on Quentin's diaries about his time in New York, which became the basis of that Sting song, An Englishman In New York. Once met QC on the set of a Jarman film where he played Queen Liz I. Lifelong hero.

As to Hurt's voice, didn't he give Attenborough a run for his money narrating a bunch of BBC nature docs at the end there? So glad that a slight hint of Derbyshire accent survived all that Shakespearean brainwashing.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 12:31
Jan 28, 2017, 11:53
I saw the original movie. I was mixing my metaphors about Stephen Fry. I thought he wanted to do a re-make of 'The Naked Civil Servant'. He was in a movie about Oscar Wilde though. I saw that one, and it was OK.

Anyway, Quentin Crisp was a recording artist on Cherry Red Records. That 'Pillows & Prayers' 99p thang. B9 . https://www.discogs.com/Various-Pillows-Prayers/release/180880

I have that pic disc somewhere.

Spoken word - Interesting guy. Not a word of humour though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34GW5edcyy4
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Jan 28, 2017, 12:06
Love that Pillows & Prayers album. That's my kinda indie. He was also on that Miniatures album, wasn't he? Where cats like The Residents and Andy Partridge get a minute each to do whatever they want.

Back to Hurt, also really recommend Little Malcolm. It's Hurt's Clockwork Orange. Mein Gott he was an angry ball of energy in that film (funded by George Harrison).
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 12:16
Jan 28, 2017, 12:08
Sin Agog wrote:
It was based on Quentin's diaries about his time in New York, which became the basis of that Sting song, An Englishman In New York. Once met QC on the set of a Jarman film where he played Queen Liz I. Lifelong hero.

As to Hurt's voice, didn't he give Attenborough a run for his money narrating a bunch of BBC nature docs at the end there? So glad that a slight hint of Derbyshire accent survived all that Shakespearean brainwashing.

I'm not one for spoken books, but if I were, then John Hurt could've probably read anything and make it sound good. Unlike that Welsh drunk, who could only read Dylan Thomas!

'Actoirs' of that time went to RADA, so Shakespeare was the man. Even Kenneth Williams went to RADA.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 28, 2017, 12:27
Jan 28, 2017, 12:26
Talking of Shakesperean-like or un-like actors. We bought tickets (well £1 each) to see Richard Harris play King Lear at The Citizens Theatre in Glasgow many moons ago. Surprise, surprise, he was drunk and couldn't make it! Some other cunt stood in for him. He was quite good though. Ever been to The Citz?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index