Weird things in tins

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
2843 posts

Weird things in tins
Jan 14, 2017, 22:21
I praised something unusual that I'd bought for the first time as an experiment from Morrisons to my youngest this evening, and recommended that she try some. Her response was negative, that she didn't like "weird things in tins". I still love her. The product involved was the Jamaican vegetable called callaloo. First impression: I like it muchly... tastes rather like, but better than spinach. More in next shoptrip...several tinsworth. I've yet to try ackees and eddoes from that part of the world. Now more curious (am munching toasted cornbread at the mo..that's the kinda guy I am) Anyone else got an obscure tinned fave they'd like to praise or confess to? NB am trying to erase from my mind an image of FOM stuck headfirst in one with his bum sticking out. But failing.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 02:14
Re: Weird things in tins
Jan 15, 2017, 00:58
Tinned food made us actually win the war!

http://online.wsj.com/ww1/canned-food
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 02:21
SPAM - http://www.spam-uk.com/
spencer
spencer
2843 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 02:45
We know a song about that
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2017, 16:42
Jan 15, 2017, 14:28
Yeah, but spam fritters are yum! I get vegetarianism, but I don't get the objection to dead pig over other animals we eat. Total hypocracy. Either a veg or not. And fish too. Yum!

Tinned mackerel in tomato sauce is fairly funky from Lidl. In a can. Yum! 59p. As houses and rents are so expensive in London, you gotta eat cheap just to survive.
flatboxertwin
flatboxertwin
369 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 15:25
Sarson ka saag: mustard leaf and spinach curry, available from good Asian shops.
Moon Cat
9698 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 17:07
Something I'd opened and left in my fridge and forgotten about over Christmas. It was corn I think. It looked on the verge of sentience before I binned it. Probably saved the world.
carol27
761 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 18:41
Tinned kidneys...yes I know I'm gross, but they do exist cos I've had em.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 19:38
Scandanavialand like pickled herring that's been starved of air for like, hundreds of years. Apparently a delicacy.
spencer
spencer
2843 posts

Jan 15, 2017, 22:30
Yup.. I eat pretty well by relentlessly hunting stuff on last day of sale and going to the tired worn but OK box at the back if my local veg emporium. Mackerel in tomato sauce: another fan. Herbs, a few cherry toms, seasoning, spring onion, lemon juice, toasted wholemeal = yum. To me, anyway. (Porridge first)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index