Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
1687 posts

Edited Jan 12, 2017, 01:21
Re: The Rock N' Roll Memoir
Jan 12, 2017, 01:18
Stevo wrote:
Go Tell It On The Mountain by the leader of the band that the Ramones fan club head started playing guitar to play in , Jeffrey Lee Pierce of the Gun Club. Fan club head being kid Congo. Go Tell The Mountain may verge on fiction though.

I kinda enjoyed this, but I'd have to say that I thought this was one of those 'print the legend' kinda books. JLP was a gold standard bull shitter if nothing else, and as you say, some (if not all) verges on fiction.
It's a pretty brief biog if you discount the song lyrics section.
Fair play to Rollins fer putting it out there. Though Stupid fuckin' prices quoted fer the book these days, you'd think it was some unknowable grimoire or something the prices some dickheads are asking. (Cheapest Ammo market place price £563.38. weird figure, and really, whose gonna pay that).

There's a French book (written in French obvs!) by Marc Sastre on all things JLP/Gun Club at a fair price. But not being fluent in the lingo, it'd be no use to me, sadly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jeffrey-Lee-Pierce-sources-Club/dp/2916749357/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484183698&sr=8-1&keywords=Jeffrey+Lee+Pierce+Marc+Sastre

I think you get a better idea about who JLP was from ex friends and band mates documentary 'Ghost on The Highway'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcNAYIdgkKo

A Kid Congo biog is waaaay overdue. Luuurve that guy's work with The Cramps and Gun Club and Nick Cave (and his 'sexy/voodoo/hexy' solo stuff too). A bit like Brian Gregory in being of limited playing ability, but by adding that certain unexplained, unknowable, indecipherable but essential 'X' factor to so many tunes he gets my vote over many clever clever guitar virtuoso's.
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index