42 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6703 posts

Edited Jan 14, 2017, 11:16
Re: The Rock N' Roll Memoir
Jan 11, 2017, 21:58
The Marcy Ramone book was pretty great. Read that before Xmas.

Go Tell The Mountain by the leader of the band that the Ramones fan club head started playing guitar to play in , Jeffrey Lee Pierce of the Gun Club. Fan club head being kid Congo.
Go Tell The Mountain may verge on fiction though.

Lee Underwood's book on his time with Tim Buckley was ok though Underwood does come off as a bit of an egotistical tosser in places.

The book that Misunderstood's lead singer Rick Brown put together a few years covering his time in the band then going onto his move to India to avoid the draft. he stayed there for years as a Krsna monk and the story in that book is really scathing. I think it was put out with a lot of help from Ugly THings.

What's Welsh for Zen by John cale was pretty good too.

There are a number of decent Oral Histories around like Please Kill Me! which are pretty essential.

Enjoyed both Phil Lesh and Bill Kreutzman's memoirs of their time in the Grateful Dead.
Also Darby Slick's book on his time in the Great Society.
I think Grace Slick had a decent autobio too

Iggy Pop's I want More.

Forever Changes the book that JOhn Einarson put together around Arthur Lee's memoirs is essential.
As was the Johnny Echols interview in the Ugly tHings edition. is that #37?
Also Michael Stuart Ware's book which I have as Behind the Scenes on the Pegasus Carousel but has since been updated. Not sure how different the update is since I haven't read that.

Will think of others later.
especially if this is extending to 3rd person narratives.
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index