42 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
1696 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2017, 00:55
Re: The Rock N' Roll Memoir
Jan 10, 2017, 00:30
Some good calls in the lists above, i'd like to second the "New York Rocker: My Life In The Blank Generation" as a great read. His follow up about the 'occult' side of the 60's is worth a punt too.

Also muchly enjoyed the scene overview of 'Our Band Could Be your Life', great potted histories of numerous punk/hardcore/noise bands from the 80's/90's, most of whom I've known and loved dearly.

Starman / David Bowie - Paul Trynka.
I'd not realised how many abortive attempts Bowie made at 'fame' till I read this. Nor that it took him so long to actually start making any money from his efforts. Loads of info and stories, and always had me reaching for the records to accompany any given chapter.

Those Luke Haines books (Bad Vibes and Post Everything) are funny, dry and satirical. Almost a guide to how not to have a successful band, or at least how to throw a spanner in the works.

I also muchly liked...

Hell Bent For Leather - Seb Hunter
The hilarious posturing and posings of a wanna be metal band.

Neon Angel : A Memoir Of A Runaway- Cherie Currie
Worth reading for her post Runaway story alone. How many ex rockstars do you know that have been kidnapped by a murderer and almost (almost) met their end that way.

Hooleygan: Music, Mayhem, Good Vibrations - Terry Hoolie
Fascinating and uplifting read about Belfast/Northern Irish record store owner cum DJ who made such a difference to 'the kids' during (that should read as despite) of the troubles going on between the IRA and UDF. Not a bad film either.

Ones I didn't really enjoy...

Scar Tissue - Anthony Keidis
Dunno how true much of this is, but it just struck me as page after page of bullshit, so gave up half way through

Keith Richards - Life
Thought this would be great, but I'm afraid for some reason It just didn't engage me, and tbh, I found it a tad dull. Another exercise in down playing Brian's input and claiming Jones's legacy as his/their own.

Bolan: The Rise and Fall of a 20th Century Superstar - Paytress
Hated this, not so much for the writing, but for making me realise what an out and out wanker Bolan was. The guy came across as vindictive, self serving, mean spirited, asshole. Just vile. Think I got about half way through before I felt I'd heard enough. I do still like his music though, more fool me.

Edit...

Just noticed this book about Post Punk. Anyone read it/ recommend it?
http://repeaterbooks.com/books/post-punk-then-and-now-gavin-butt-mark-fisher/

Ditto this one. Electri-City: The Dusseldorf School of Electronic Music.
http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/01125498/details.html
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index