Register
The Village Pump »
Steam Warning

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
8933 posts

Steam Warning
Dec 29, 2016, 11:23
This is a post mainly aimed at Spencer, I suppose.

Season's greeting to you, Squire - and indeed anyone else dropping by - I've not seen a steam train scurrying along the valley beneath Castle Calamity for quite some time. mainly because you've not given me the usual heads up. Anything in the pipeline?

I've really been suffering the lurgy, this Winter. What started off about a month ago as a respiratory thing, developed into an achey shaky flu-like thing with night sweats and whatnot. I'm now ailing with a very painful shoulder, part rheumatic - owing to a broken collarbone injury, when at infant school - and part, I suspect due to uncontrollably violent coughing fits.

I hate Winter.
Kid Calamity
8933 posts

Re: Steam Warning
Dec 29, 2016, 11:27
I'm hunkered down, in my shed. Trying to mix a track, but the blummin' cat keeps walking across my keyboard.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 14:55
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoaA7l0ClEU
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4645 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 15:58
Kid Calamity wrote:

Season's greeting to you, Squire - and indeed anyone else dropping by - I've not seen a steam train scurrying along the valley beneath Castle Calamity for quite some time. mainly because you've not given me the usual heads up. Anything in the pipeline?

I've really been suffering the lurgy, this Winter. What started off about a month ago as a respiratory thing, developed into an achey shaky flu-like thing with night sweats and whatnot. I'm now ailing with a very painful shoulder, part rheumatic - owing to a broken collarbone injury, when at infant school - and part, I suspect due to uncontrollably violent coughing fits.

I hate Winter.

We lived right alongside the Watercress Line in open countryside just outside of Alresford before moving to Cornywall. Beautiful steamers passing by us every day on the way to Ropley.
Didn't seem right when the teacups didn't rattle in their saucers on a quiet day. Loved the Santa Special this time of the year with all the excited kids waving flags as they steamed by!! Real Railway Children stuff for us!
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4645 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 17:19
Kid Calamity wrote:

I hate Winter.

Whilst on the subject of steamers, a heads-up for tonight on BBC4 9PM. Flying Scotsman from the Footplate. Spencer will be salivating and getting his train-spotters notebook out :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4645 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 17:24
Sanctuary wrote:
Kid Calamity wrote:

I hate Winter.

Whilst on the subject of steamers, a heads-up for tonight on BBC4 9PM. Flying Scotsman from the Footplate. Spencer will be salivating and getting his train-spotters notebook out :-)

PS....
In the meantime, I of course, will be salivating watching The Adele Story on CH5 :-)
wychburyman
937 posts

Dec 29, 2016, 17:31
At the end of Hawkbatch Ridge in the Wyre Forest there is a lovely view over the Severn Valley. Had lovely views of a steam train coming down the valley. As it disappeared into the woods it looked as if a dragon was huffing and puffing away somewhere deep in the forest
spencer
spencer
2843 posts

Dec 30, 2016, 11:50
Sorry to hear of your malady and pains, KC. Have you by any chance got a bad taste in the back of the mouth? If so could be sinus related. Anyway, if its been going on for that long, get some heavy duty antibiotics from the doc, despite any aversion - which I share. Steam in the garden: I still look out for them for you. There were five or so in recent months. One I didn't know about, one I did then forgot to tell you when times were confirmed a few days before, one got cancelled and two ran when you'd already announced here that you'd be elsewhere. There have also been a few 'engine and one coach' movements in the week, when I've assumed you'd be at work in Shrew. Next train's in March, not sure of route, then two in May. Will keep you posted. Thank you for your seasonal greetings, reciprocated. Mine could not, unfortunately, have been worse, apart from bereavement of a loved one. On Christmas morning a lot tears were shed after an announcement by several members of my family including myself, but not one. Presents have remained under an unlit tree. I now know next year will be painful not just because of possible or probable operations, but will continue to prattle away here with my usual blend of sense and idiocy as this place remains, as Wychers has said and you have concurred elsewhere, a good place with some good people, despite it all. There is light at the end of my tunnel and I shall continue to head towards it, and hope that somewhere and sometime we can still have that pint.
The Village Pump Index