Threat of nuclear wipeout - a debate

17 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bauheed
bauheed
828 posts

Re: Threat of nuclear wipeout - a debate
Dec 15, 2016, 14:44
I don't know about when exactly anti-nuclear protests were at their height, but there certainly were protests in the UK in the 1960's. I have a family connection to the Dunoon area, which is next to the Holy Loch on the Clyde Estuary where the US Polaris submarine base was located until the early 1990's. There were anti-polaris protests in Dunoon in the 60's, for example, as mentioned in the following article from a 1961 edition of The Glasgow Herald:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19610515&id=oBI1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=wqULAAAAIBAJ&pg=4603,2219229&hl=en

In fact, I think my father in law, who is from the area might have been at some of these protests.

In terms of influence on popular culture, it's interesting that this article mentions the involvement of a "skiffle group" and a couple of protest songs that were sung (as well as Michael Foot being there). One of the songs mentioned (Ding Dong Dollar, the one referred to as being to the tune of She'll be coming round the Mountain) was recently revived by one of the support acts on Aidan Moffat's excellent "Where You're Meant to Be" tour and subsequent film. Unfortunately, I can't recall if that song is actually in the film and unfortunately there is no footage on You Tube.

The Village Pump Index