184 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1940 posts

Re: What you watching 2
Jun 28, 2017, 15:13
Sin Agog wrote:
Cheers for the Ballard tip. It's supposedly him on his pithiest A-game (not that I don't find myself swept away by some of those long, languorous descriptions on things like The Drowned World).

Every story in 'War Fever' is vintage Ballard... him at his sharpest and cleverest. The anthology also includes "The Index" and "Answers to a Questionnaire"; both of which -- like "Notes Towards a Mental Breakdown" -- take the format of the short story to places it rarely goes.

And there's also "The Man Who Walked on The Moon", a piece of writing so perfect it "out-Brautigans" Richard Brautigan (the king of the American short-story).

And yet, like yourself, I also dig the other side of Ballard. In fact; my favourite book of his is probably 'Vermilion Sands'. It straddles a strange space between short-story anthology and novel; 5 or 6 "mid-length" stories all set in the same fictional near-future seaside resort.

I remember reading it in the mid-90s and being profoundly affected by it. Somehow Ballard had crept into my sleeping mind and perfectly captured the atmosphere of my dreams... even if not the actual content. I've read it every couple of years since then. And each time it leaves me dazed.

Check it out if you're unfamiliar with it (it's not one of his better known books).
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index