184 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Edited Jun 28, 2017, 10:45
Re: What you watching 2
Jun 28, 2017, 10:42
Cheers for the Ballard tip. It's supposedly him on his pithiest A-game (not that I don't find myself swept away by some of those long, languorous descriptions on things like The Drowned World).

Hey, just a warning on the neue Twin Peaks: from what I can see most of the audience has come away from it like they've just had a spiritual experience (probably at least partially because Lynch has sneakily gotten so many of us to unknowingly meditate with lengthy scenes of people sweeping and the like), but the few people I've noticed who've reacted adversely to it are those looking for the warm pie feeling of the original. There are a few smatterings of those moments, but on the whole it's a different animal. I think I did the right thing by priming myself with Fire Walk With Me and The Missing Pieces instead of the original series (although that was only because I rewatched it again a year or so back and I didn't quite feel the need to go back to that well yet). Open up, don't go in looking for a soapy plot fix, and you may love it as much as I do. There are enough plots out there in the world- I think I remember debating with you about how we've replaced the big stories of the old gods with a kazillion little, trifling ones- but nothing like the atomic bomb sequence in that last episode.
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index