What you watching 2

184 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Re: What you watching 2
Feb 16, 2017, 22:03
Took a bunch of people to see Manchester by the Sea, and then got lambasted afterwards for dragging them to see such a "morbid" movie. It's weird how some people will lean so heavily on the words depressing and morbid, when I almost never use them. Strong emotion is an awesome, terrifying thing, and I can grok why someone would want to run from it, but I'm friends with it. With a movie like that I need to see certain little gestures that strike me as real in order to fully surrender myself to it. You know, like the slow, meticulous unfolding of a napkin at breakfast, or getting the words muddled up during what, in any other movie, would call for a rousing, cathartic speech. Really dug Manchester for all of that.

In my experience with the people I've known since they were kids, the kernel of their personality has remained unscathed. They're essentially the same person, no matter how much they think they've changed. The one thing which can send us back into the kiln and out another person is grief. That can do it. I loved this movie for telling that story. Was also far too funny to be called just plain "morbid".
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index