What you watching 2

184 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Re: What you watching 2
Aug 22, 2016, 14:20
I was reading Mungo Park's Travels Into the Interior of Africa earlier this year, which covers his two expeditions along the Niger in the late 18th century, the first of which resulted in him getting captured as a slave by the Moors, and the second ultimately ending in his death, and you're right that Africa really had a flourishing ecosystem long before any whitey landed on its shores. Much of its problems seem to have been a result of the Moorish influence, who were the first major slave-owners out there. The full picture of Africa's rich history should be far further up the list of things kids should learn in history class than Elizabeth the smegging I's favourite breakfast cereal (Cinammon Golden Grahams, and Cocopops on special occasions). The aspect of colonialism that necessitates keeping most of the world a nebulous brown mass in our minds is still thriving. I heard that the Roots remake was a bit like a violent, soulless action movie, but you've really sold me on it now.

'course what makes me keep watching a program or film is a tonal thing. Just one little quiet human moment early on, one little bit of verisimilitude that has everything to do with the character and fuck all to do with the plot, like someone getting hiccups or stubbing their toe in the middle of a scene; those things are what makes me think, "Yeah, this is alright by me".
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index