184 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2016, 19:12
Re: What you watching 2
Aug 21, 2016, 19:04
Any awkward shudders when OJ Simpson came onscreen? And Geordie LaForge is in there as well, right? I was pretty obsessed with Roots as a kid. Think I came to it based on The Autobiography of Malcolm X being the first grown-up book I really fell in love with, and Roots is based on Alex Haley's (co-writer/editor) family tree. I can't help but think the remake must be a bag of shite without even seeing it, but y'know I've been wrong before (12th May, 1993). I tried to watch the Cosmos remake too a few weeks ago, and that mad-eyed awe Carl Sagan brought to it, where he seemed so floored by the universe that it almost bordered on sexual, like he wanted to fill in the Milky Way's big black hole with his..., well that had been replaced with a lot of whooshing CGI sweeps and, a little better, SOME updated intel. Not passionate enough! And a noticeable dearth of Vangelis.

Only program I'm watching right now is Baz Luhrmann's crazy expensive birth of hip-hop epic, The Get Down. He pitched it to Netflix as "like West Side Story meets The Wire", but when camp tries to do serious it only comes across even camper. I'm alright with that, though, as this is some messy fun. I don't drink anymore, but I really wish I did so I could play a drinking game where I take a sip every time it played Can's Vitamin C whenever a train appeared. You'd think the track was called The Train Song by Train from the album Trains.
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index