What you watching 2

Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Re: What you watching 2
Jun 10, 2017, 19:38
Make sure you re(?)watch Fire Walk With Me as well (well, provided your daughter isn't five years old or something). That's what I did. (Don't get the hate for it at the time. It really told the story of a girl who senses her number's up and tentatively embraces oblivion brilliantly). If you're one of those dot-connecting cats, well it seems like a ton of those dots are contained in that movie. The Blue Rose from FWWM is mentioned a lot in the new one. My suspicion is it's a macguffin that has something to do with the German folklore, Die Blaue Blume/The Blue Flower- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_flower. "It stands for the metaphysical striving for the infinite and unreachable" would be a pretty good summation of Lynch's entire career.

Going straight from the old series to the new one and seeing the heartrending scene of The Log Lady giving it her all, and launching the whole mystery, whilst fully aware that she was weeks away from a permanent move to The White Lodge, will be a huge emotional gut-punch.
laresident
laresident
857 posts

Jun 10, 2017, 21:19
Seventeen year olds. Her and her friends are all watching it. Fire Walk With Me is definitely next.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
5878 posts

Jun 11, 2017, 21:59
The Handmaid's Tale. Three episodes in and it's starting to feel like a documentary.

"When they blamed terrorists and suspended the Constitution, we didn't wake up then either".
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Jun 14, 2017, 22:59
Looking forward to dipping into the last season of Orphan Black. Anyone here watch it? It's just bloody stunning how Tatiana Maslany makes all the different clones so distinguished from each other. I was chatting with my trans aunt about this (who loved every clone except for the trans one, who she thought was a bit half-baked and ramrodded in for some agenda or other), and we both kept on forgetting that each of her characters weren't played by completely different actors. I really bloody hope it doesn't go the way of the other Black show Orange is the New Black, which followed up an emotionally wrenching, paranoid, dark season with a totally underwritten, trifling season of characters acting like exagerrated fan-fiction caricatures of everything we'd seen before. I love female-centric shows. I think it was Ingmar Bergman who said on the Dick Cavett show that he thinks that female actors are innately better at conveying emotion onscreen, and I'm down with that, but I reckon I'm signing off this half way in.
carol27
761 posts

Edited Jun 18, 2017, 17:13
Jun 18, 2017, 16:44
thesweetcheat wrote:
The Handmaid's Tale. Three episodes in and it's starting to feel like a documentary.

"When they blamed terrorists and suspended the Constitution, we didn't wake up then either".

It's excellent. I read it as a young girl, I had a fantastic influential aunt. It's complicated because it's not a straightforward " sisterhood". In fact it's not a straightforward anything. If they do it properly it moves you through all sorts of emotions & " truths". It's a book that made me question myself. However the abuse of women and men ( to perhaps a lesser extent..questionable) is being done very well so far.
The demonstration scene was so terrifying. Edited, of course..the way they've used music is pretty good too:)
Toni Torino
2281 posts

Jun 18, 2017, 17:51
Frankie Boyle's New World Order

The closing monologues are viciously funny.

The 1st is on UKip's Paul Burrell

https://youtu.be/IX3vW-IfPzE

The 2nd is on our beloved Prime Minister, if anyone can provide a link, that'd be great ta.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
5878 posts

Jun 18, 2017, 17:55
They've done a great job of boosting some of the minor threads from the book to chime with current issues, like the Ofglen character, FGM and the idea that you can "cure" someone's sexuality.

The last episode was quite depressing I thought - the ease with which hard won rights and liberties could be snatched away in the name of protecting us is terrifying, and I'm saying that as a heterosexual middle class white male.

The mash up of Philip Glass and Heart of Glass was effective.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2085 posts

Jun 18, 2017, 20:29
I have watched both episodes too. I particularly like his use of metaphors and similes. Got a soft spot for Sarah Pascoe too. Her stand up is like a female Woody Allen or something. On the iplayer.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2085 posts

Jacques Peretti
Jun 18, 2017, 20:44
That programme about commuters trying to take on a train line. Some interesting stuff there for those pondering why our train service is sub standard and wondering whether it should be renationalised.

Apparently about 3 billion tax payers money is paid out to subsidise various franchises so it is in part nationalised still. This money is dolled out to franchises run and owned by European governments in the majority of cases. Don't let the brexiteers get hold of that info!!! Regardless, it seems foolhardy. They went to Switzerland where the train service is run very efficiently to all appearances. It is run as a business concern, and all the profits which it inevitably makes are ploughed straight back into the infrastructure. Why can't we do that? Anyone been on a train recently? I live in Cornwall and don't get much change from £100 to get to London and back. Seems ridiculously expensive.

Been trying to get hold of the superrich and us on Youtube but it is not available. Remembered enjoying that as well as his one about making us spend money and the built in obsolescence of products. Watched his ted
talk too

Been catching up with the last episode of Marvel's Agents of Shield which is ostensibly about AI

Most of the way through series 2 of Shameless which really is very well put together
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2085 posts

Doc Brown
Jun 23, 2017, 13:22
Very composed stand up set from an actor and rapper amongst other things. Quite amusing in places too. On the iplayer from the BBC live programmes (the other one in the series being Sarah Pascoe who I quite like too)
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 114 15 16 17 18 19 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index