Re: What you watching 2
Feb 17, 2017, 15:27
Under S for Storyville :)
giNgko_C
giNgko_C
382 posts

Feb 19, 2017, 01:18
slogged to the end of Black Mirror out of some trudging obligation.

The humour shines through with bloody Belinda Carlisle juxtaposed with a burial scene straight out of Modern Warfarin, and the bloody robot bees man -

Overall, definitely something I'd show to my imaginary unruly 9 year old children if I'd ever bothered to perpetuate my DNA.

Ho hum.

9/10
carol27
761 posts

Feb 19, 2017, 18:43
Toni Torino wrote:
Storyville - Notes on Blindness

Utterly spellbinding documentary on Theology Professor John Hull's descent (entrance?) into a sightless world in the 1970s/80, captured on audio tape, (personal memoirs, recorded interviews etc), those words being lip-synched by actors. HIs wife being terrified he was entering a world where she couldn't follow, his sense of when his newborn baby was looking at him, his dream of his daughter, of seeing her for the first-time, of seeing those "beautiful brown eyes that everyone talks about" and then waking up and feeling utterly bereft... and his ultimate positivity. Heartbursting. Storyville is a National Treasure, I think.

Have just watched this. His description of rain & how if it could be transposed into his house he'd be more able to recognise space & objects by the different sounds it makes is wonderful. It is lovely.
Toni Torino
2281 posts

Feb 20, 2017, 19:12
carol27 wrote:
Toni Torino wrote:
Storyville - Notes on Blindness

Utterly spellbinding documentary on Theology Professor John Hull's descent (entrance?) into a sightless world in the 1970s/80, captured on audio tape, (personal memoirs, recorded interviews etc), those words being lip-synched by actors. HIs wife being terrified he was entering a world where she couldn't follow, his sense of when his newborn baby was looking at him, his dream of his daughter, of seeing her for the first-time, of seeing those "beautiful brown eyes that everyone talks about" and then waking up and feeling utterly bereft... and his ultimate positivity. Heartbursting. Storyville is a National Treasure, I think.

Have just watched this. His description of rain & how if it could be transposed into his house he'd be more able to recognise space & objects by the different sounds it makes is wonderful. It is lovely.

Yes, a sonar of sorts.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2085 posts

Feb 20, 2017, 19:37
The Tom Waits doc from yesterday on BBC4. Not so keen on his 70's work and persona but will have to explore some of his material after Raindogs, on the strength of the footage in this doc.
laresident
laresident
857 posts

Feb 21, 2017, 03:39
Talking of Mr Waites, I worked with him on a rather cool pilot last year. It seemed to be a hallucinogenic occult Latinos in L.A. sort of a show for Hulu. Sadly I don't think it was picked up. The director was a very nice chap also.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2085 posts

Feb 21, 2017, 22:43
Inside No 9. Awesome first episode of the 3rd series. I just pay my share normally!
giNgko_C
giNgko_C
382 posts

Mar 04, 2017, 01:00
This'll change your mind about Tom Waits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X4N2exOsU
Cx
laresident
laresident
857 posts

Mar 04, 2017, 18:35
Hah!

The YouTube algorithms can take a person to some strange places.
Pages: 20 – [ Previous | 111 12 13 14 15 16 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index