The Village Pump »
What you watching 2

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
carol27
757 posts

Re: What you watching 2
Feb 17, 2017, 08:48
Grief stops me in my tracks occasionally but it's impact settles in time; it's a process...my dad swims in & out, but I smile & feel comforted too with my memories. I'm not sure I'd survive on some levels if I lost a child.
I've seen trailers for the OA & am intrigued. When is Twin Peaks out? I'm VERY excited about that; surely if the master Lynch is on board it'll be a cracker.
Female Hysteria is an going condition for me...every time I open my mouth I get threatened with the asylum, so I get me sanitary ware out & waggle it in their faces. That soon sees em off:)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 09:13
Haha! You're hysterical.

Peaks is coming very soon. Very, very soon. Can't wait, personally. This interview Lynch did with Patti Smith came up in my youtube feed yesterday and made me excited all over again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilPRXtkfZXw

Did you watch it when it came out at the time? People say The Sopranos or The Wire are the programs that legitimised tee-vee again, but it was Twin Peaks, wasn't it? Lynch said something about creativity being like fishing for ideas. You have to sit very still and quiet and they'll come. And to get to the more revelatory, life-changing ideas, you have to cast your net out into the deepest, darkest waters. I love that he somehow hijacked the world's consciousness for a short spell with TP. Force-fed us all the strangest fish. No wonder so many of the cast returned for the revival the moment they got the call. Even the ones who've been retired from acting for years. I half suspect Lynch'll do something crazy like kill them all off in the first five minutes, but I doubt even he'd be that cruel.
Toni Torino
2276 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 09:38
Storyville - Notes on Blindness

Utterly spellbinding documentary on Theology Professor John Hull's descent (entrance?) into a sightless world in the 1970s/80, captured on audio tape, (personal memoirs, recorded interviews etc), those words being lip-synched by actors. HIs wife being terrified he was entering a world where she couldn't follow, his sense of when his newborn baby was looking at him, his dream of his daughter, of seeing her for the first-time, of seeing those "beautiful brown eyes that everyone talks about" and then waking up and feeling utterly bereft... and his ultimate positivity. Heartbursting. Storyville is a National Treasure, I think.
carol27
757 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 09:42
Twin Peaks is yet another of my addictions. I have the box set & often settle down for the sesh. Me & my eldest son have entered this wonderful world many many times...other family members don't get it & we don't get them, ha!
I watched it religiously at the time; everything stopped on a Sunday(?) evening. I still shiver with horror when Bob appears behind the sofa. It's bloody brilliant. I'd never seen anything like it. I'm not very eloquent like wot you are Sin but from the first shot of the bridge with that haunting score I was off:)
carol27
757 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 09:55
Thankyou Toni for reminding me about this documentary. I'd registered it & then promptly forgotten. I've taken to scribbling in a notebook things I'm interested to read or see so in it shall go:)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 10:04
Czech this image. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FDGqrH9e0Uc/UN43j1pXTiI/AAAAAAAAMFI/f0qLmsejWBI/s1600/BOB-twin-peaks.png

Here's a mind-blower for ya. That's from a scene in the pilot where Grace Zabriskie does her wigging out thang: right there in the mirror is a blurry reflection of Bob (or the dewd who played him, Frank Silva). Apparently he was just on set that day and wasn't actually meant to be in the shot, but when Lynch noticed the frame later on, he thought it was serendipity and ratched up his role to the demon from The Black Lodge we all know and hate.

There are so many little details like that. Makes you want to go back again and again and see what else you can pick out. I remember I once spent an hour with a VHS copy I'd recorded off the telly trying to get it to pause at just the right spot in the finale where I SWEAR I saw a face in the forest. Finally managed it, then showed a kodak photo of that frame to all my friends who watched the show, and none of them could make it out. It was like a Rorschach test that only I could see. Heh, still frustrates the fuck out of me. IT'S THERE- A FACE! OPEN YOUR EYES, YOU MYOPIC DUM-DUMS!
carol27
757 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2017, 10:27
Feb 17, 2017, 10:16
Ooh shivery creeps, I meant to mention the mirror. Isn't that fantastic. Why IS Bob so scary? It's the people transmutation thing I think. Bob possessing Leland. He's got a proper demonic countenance though.
Re the face in the woods I'm gonna have to watch the bloody thing again & look out..for which I'll be roundly moaned at. See what you've done?
Actually it's Bob at the end of the bed, not the sofa.
spencer
spencer
2843 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 10:48
Thought you might understand...you are a Dude. I have revisited all my dark corners including those I'd forgotten or wiped that I had. An interesting, very painful but necessary and probably productive experience. I will be on television soon. Couldn't when the opportunity happened before.. long, surreal story, no need to repeat, but in the end I was guided in John Boorman's direction, but it was clear I had a skin too few at the time. Maybe now, ce sera. Still somewhat raw on occasion. A live hour long tryout in offing. This time a factual subject. Meeting a 'name' soon. Probably more. After that, could be Beeb. It all feels a bit inexorable...am 'going with it' at the moment. If I feel too uncomfortable I will stop that 'it' in it's tracks. Perhaps tempting fate, but...ce sera. Irrespective, I'm happy in my own skin now and in my current profession where I'm genuinely very well regarded and am grateful for that. If it ends like this fair enough. Just having a crack at fulfilling several people's sincere long held till they passed to the other side very, very high expectations of apparently multi 'gifted' me and needing to have a crack at being totally fulfilled in several areas personally. Life's too short now. We shall see. Dunno. Maybe you. Hope you get where you want to go if you haven't already. Believe in the lightning bolt even if there's the possibility of a smell of burning afterwards for a while. So now you know.
carol27
757 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 11:19
Excuse me I'm not a dude & I understand.
spencer
spencer
2843 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 13:05
Thanks, Carol. Have a platonic hug. Am telling absolute truth. Ain't easy being repeatedly labelled outstanding and not have the inner equipment or backup to deal with it. Plus you get shit from those who suss you're 'different'. I had my nose slit once. Stuff like that. Plenty. You can't help the way you pop out and being Mensa levellish and multitalented or 'well rounded', whatever. Posh schools are not nice places sometimes. Thank f*ck my brainiac spawn are unscathed. They've always known I'm there. I've had to keep below parapet till can handle things, just taken a peek now and again. Still got repeatedly noticed in a nice way, have encountered and still do encounter 'not your average person'. Several in the offing now, it seems, having been scratched and sniffed. Just as private aquaintances. I'm not Zelig, not consciously gone out of my way in the slightest, will not. Like my job, I never ever advertise, just get passed around or cross paths. You'd recognise the names. Would prefer just as mates. Zero in the starstruck department. I just natter. No airs and graces either side..but I prefer birds and flowers. And stones. (And, and...cont.) Really n o t trying to be bigheaded, am just saying and don't 'do' bullshit. Despise those that do. I just talk to nice people, like yourself 'n Mr Agog, bless his seaweedy underwear. Wife remains totally oblivious, probably thinks I'm doing fek all. Will have to spill beans soon, I guess... Ulp. But, as I said, life's too short now, dot, dot, dot... Anyhoo, gotta go into town now and do things re 'plans'. Catch up with you praps x ...ps er, sorry for spectacular bit of thread diversion. What am I watching at moment? Nothing. Taking time out from that for some reason...
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index