What you watching 2

Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
2843 posts

Re: What you watching 2
Jan 25, 2017, 02:49
Youtube - Frontiers Of Progressive Rock; King Crimson-The Nice-Soft Machine-Yes .....this is fabulous. But RIP Keith, Greg, Chris &&&
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2062 posts

Feb 11, 2017, 22:37
Watching the end of Ryan Day v Marco Fu. That's a snooker match for the uninitiated. Ryan Day came back from needing 4 snookers in one frame, but still has the potential to be a snooker numpty at any given time methinks!

Crackanory series 4. Give her her due, Mel Ogrizavic from the Bake off (married to Coventry City's Steve of course)told the story with a plum. Do like the actor's involved, but the stories are getting a bit old hack.
carol27
761 posts

Feb 13, 2017, 21:22
La La Land. What a treat. The colours are beautiful.
carol27
761 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2017, 21:08
Feb 16, 2017, 21:02
Florence Foster Jenkins..I haven't laughed so much in ages. Hugh Grant does very well, as does Harold from big bang theory. Apparently Bowie loved Florences' recordings; her singing is remarkable:)
I've also watched Manchester by the Sea & thought Casey Affleck was brilliant. I thought he deserved an Oscar for Jesse James but this film should surely seal it. The story is harrowing & very moving. Michelle Williams is great too even though she's only on screen a short while.
Oops should've posted this on the film's thread:)
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Feb 16, 2017, 22:03
Took a bunch of people to see Manchester by the Sea, and then got lambasted afterwards for dragging them to see such a "morbid" movie. It's weird how some people will lean so heavily on the words depressing and morbid, when I almost never use them. Strong emotion is an awesome, terrifying thing, and I can grok why someone would want to run from it, but I'm friends with it. With a movie like that I need to see certain little gestures that strike me as real in order to fully surrender myself to it. You know, like the slow, meticulous unfolding of a napkin at breakfast, or getting the words muddled up during what, in any other movie, would call for a rousing, cathartic speech. Really dug Manchester for all of that.

In my experience with the people I've known since they were kids, the kernel of their personality has remained unscathed. They're essentially the same person, no matter how much they think they've changed. The one thing which can send us back into the kiln and out another person is grief. That can do it. I loved this movie for telling that story. Was also far too funny to be called just plain "morbid".
carol27
761 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2017, 23:23
Feb 16, 2017, 23:18
I just thought the way he portrayed a man living with his grief was remarkable; the way it almost completely stunted him. The terror he feels at opening up the floodgates. I cried & cried. The scene with his nephew when he admits he can't beat it was heartbreaking & so wonderfully done.
I didn't find it morbid; just real & powerful. It hasn't made me feel bad but I know it will haunt me & I'm glad to have seen it.
And you're right of course, the relationship with his nephew is funny & warm at times. The lad playing said nephew does it so well..should've looked up his name. Tapping him up for lifts & money; trying to get it on with his girl.
The bit with Michelle Williams breaking down was stunning. I need to see it again, but not just yet:)
I agree with Kermode that some of the music score was unnecessary but it didn't really intrude too much.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Feb 16, 2017, 23:53
Think I heard Casey Affleck say somewhere that that scene was filmed in bits and pieces mostly separate from Michelle Williams due to budget reasons. Mental, eh? It worked so well. There's nothing quite like taciturn guys suddenly opening up. The floodgates break open and years of congealed emotion suddenly come gushing out. Really played so well. I find Oscars a bit irritating*, but that should win it for him, even with the sexual harassment allegations from a couple of years back.

*not sure why studios get so caught up in them. Most Best Picture winners tend to just drop off the map shortly afterwards: see The Hurt Locker, Slumdog, The Artist etc. Just make good movies and forget about that noise.
spencer
spencer
2843 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 01:05
With you totally on grief. Doesn't automatically kick in straight after though. You may have to carry on regardless, do what's needed, required, best, visibly unperturbed. Sometimes you need a subsequent jolt. Have been dealing with a life support machine event of late. That was '99. I'm changing now.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Edited Feb 17, 2017, 06:16
Feb 17, 2017, 06:05
spencer wrote:
With you totally on grief. Doesn't automatically kick in straight after though. You may have to carry on regardless, do what's needed, required, best, visibly unperturbed. Sometimes you need a subsequent jolt. Have been dealing with a life support machine event of late. That was '99. I'm changing now.

Sorry to hear that, man. And I'm with you on the delayed effect. I guess if shock numbs you to help you cope with physical trauma, the emotional kind lasts much longer, even getting in the way when you WANT to feel something. Then one day it suddenly wears off when you get a nagging longing for something, only to realise it's a someone. It's only then you notice that a part of you has been siphoned away. Nada, gone. Makes you realise how the people in our lives are all the building blocks of our worlds, and sometimes that structure just doesn't hold up when one of those blocks is taken away. I'm a sensitive guy. I wonder how much of me will be left after my next wrassle with Anubis.

Oy, in other news, just finished watching The OA on Netflix (not to be confused with the OC, which is some trifling Baywatchy shite). Likely my favourite homegrown thing I've seen on there. I just love the idea of dancing your way into another dimension- I especially love how much that must have pissed off some of the more grounded viewers. Worth a watch if you fancy some Lynchian escapism. Gotta check some more of this Britt Marling woman's work. She seems to be hung up on innerscapes and otherworlds and, as they were occasionally called in Celtic mythology, 'soft places', which is a pretty good thing to be hung up on. The series also deals with a subject not talked about much anymore, which is "female hysteria", a tag doctors would constantly dole out to any suffering woman for decades and decades, and arguably still do in slightly couched form, rather than actually listen to what they're saying. Looking forward to the next series.
carol27
761 posts

Feb 17, 2017, 08:28
Umm..I did wonder wether I felt ok about lauding Casey Affleck after the harassment charges. The whole atmosphere surrounding the making of I'm Still Here appears to be ghastly & a bit sordid, but then that's what the film is about I suppose. I know they all settled out of court which speaks volumes I guess. Still if accusations are true it must have been a revolting situation for the two women to deal with. The truth is though that I think Joaquin Phoenix & Casey Affleck are fine actors ( not that Joaquin was mentioned in the suit)
As regards the Oscars I'd just like a deserving person to win it instead of someone who they feel ought to have had one by now...it'll be interesting cos they tend to gloss over the Hollywood "alternative", " bad boys". I know deserving people win it too. Anyway it's a lot of very wealthy folk swanning about in their rarefied world really. Pretty nauseating I suppose...right I've talked myself off it as per:)
Pages: 19 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index