Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Films Again - all new
Sep 04, 2016, 19:54
Moon Cat wrote:
Got round to seeing "Kingsman - The Secret Service" last night. Brilliant - a lot of fun and a total blast. And it features one of the most sublime sequences of cartoonesque violence and carnage ever, made all the more joyous in that it's mostly Colin Firth at the centre of it.

I read the comic thanks to Pirate Bay turning up things like taht then got surprised when I saw the film. Hadn't heard of a connection beforehand I don't think though the comic title is the 2nd part of the film title.

Haven't seen Grimsby the Sacha Baron Cohen film but it sounds like its based on a similar premise. self-made secret service person has thug little brother who gets roped into Intelligence work.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Sep 04, 2016, 23:29
Can anybody recommend anything good on Netflix? I had it for a few months a couple of years ago and found it of very little of interest. Signed up a week or so ago for a free months trial just incase I was wrong, and have only watched 3 movies so far. It's pretty poor in my estimation.

At least with the music streaming services you get to hear new product, morals or no morals.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 05, 2016, 14:37
What sort of thing are you looking for? Netflix have actually started swooping up quite a few good indie films lately, which is something. There's a ton of good Brit comedy on there. Plus, I guess because the rights are extremely cheap, they have a few older things on there, too, the lack of which used to be what bugged me. Searching for an actor or director's name and seeing what pops up is usually worth a stab. Anyway, let me know what sort of thing it is you're after and I might be able to help. I even watched a really good documentary on there about Divine a few days ago!
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2016, 15:19
Sep 05, 2016, 14:54
Sin Agog wrote:
What sort of thing are you looking for? Netflix have actually started swooping up quite a few good indie films lately, which is something. There's a ton of good Brit comedy on there. Plus, I guess because the rights are extremely cheap, they have a few older things on there, too, the lack of which used to be what bugged me. Searching for an actor or director's name and seeing what pops up is usually worth a stab. Anyway, let me know what sort of thing it is you're after and I might be able to help. I even watched a really good documentary on there about Divine a few days ago!

Things in the dark genre. So far I've watched:

1) A documentary about drugs: Mexico/USA
2) A movie about drugs/violence: Scotland
3) A fucking thing reluctantly watched starring Ricky Grevais apparently featuring drugs/violence

Nothing substantial really. I refuse to watch Game Of Thrones and all that pish, because it is pish really!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 05, 2016, 18:42
Sonic Sea was on Animal Planet last night so I watched most of it. But I tend to channel surf during ad breaks so wound up seeing a bit of a thing on amphetamines in the Nazi Regime.

But Sonic Sea was an eco programme about the amount of noise that has been polluting the world's oceans over the last century. Scary stuff since it seems to be driving cetaceans and others crazy.

& it seems to be constant since people haven't thought to attempt to avoid it enough. & a lot of it is down to inefficient machinery etc.
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2016, 19:07
Sep 05, 2016, 19:01
Sin Agog wrote:

'Whatever Happened, Miss Simone'? Is there. What a mad genius woman'.

Brilliant!

http://gb.imdb.com/title/tt4284010/
Markoid
Markoid
1621 posts

Edited Sep 05, 2016, 19:55
Sep 05, 2016, 19:45
Sin Agog wrote:

I've fell about on my back in football parks and various oceans screaming anothers name. With the same to squelch I hit my head and never looked back.

All the same.

One bubble. Two lives.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Sep 06, 2016, 16:16
Yeah! Hot Doc. Netflix original, I think. Nina really was a righteous, fearless goddess, politically way ahead of her time, and musically capable of eliciting tears like a stiff breeze from an onion-chopping factory. Love her.

I suspect most people use N-flix just to stream series, but here's a list of good movies on there. I'd add to it, but some friends or fam must be using the account right now (instead of working like decent members of society should be at this hour!) so I can't check in. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/2016/05/13/the-best-movies-on-netflix-uk/ Seems like you dove straight into the Netflix original movies, which are almost universally crap, whereas their original series are almost universally quite good. That said, being as you're in the mental health industry you might like the one they did featuring Paul Rudd as a care worker. It was surprisingly sweet and sober. The Fundamentals of Caring. And the comedienne Maria Bamford did a great series exploring her bipolar disorder called Lady Dynamite (first ep is a bit tryhard, but it gets great after that).

I will say that it's a complete homogenous bag of shite for anything not in English, except for a ton of anime. Was surprised to see Rififi on there, though. Always loved that film so much. I think the rights to most Soviet films went free a few years back. They should at least throw in a few Tarkovsky films, but then there's Fandor for that kind of stuff: https://www.fandor.com/
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Sep 10, 2016, 17:55
Saw "Morgan" this week.

Meh.

Don't bother.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Sep 10, 2016, 22:02
Kubo and the 2 strings. Magical stop gap animation from the Laika peeps (responsible for the likes of Coraline and Paranorman) with great story telling. Highly recommended
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index